DreamWorks Animation, the company behind successful movie franchises like Madagascar and Shrek, said it had completed a deal to pump its films and TV specials through Netflix, replacing a less lucrative pact with HBO.
The Netflix accord, worth an analyst-estimated US$30 million per picture to DreamWorks over an unspecified period of years, is billed by the companies as the first time a major Hollywood supplier has chosen Web streaming over pay TV. It is also a bet by Dreamworks chief executive Jeffrey -Katzenberg that consumers in the near future will not distinguish between the two.
“We are really starting to see a long-term road map of where the industry is headed,” Katzenberg said in an interview. “This is a game-changing deal.”
Netflix chief content officer Ted Sarandos added: “You’re seeing power moving back into the hands of content creators. When a company like DreamWorks ends a long-running pay TV deal — when a new buyer in the space steps up — that’s a really interesting landscape shift.”
The DreamWorks contract comes as Netflix is trying to navigate a dense thicket of challenges. Competition from the likes of Apple, Amazon and Vudu, a streaming service owned by Wal-Mart, is increasingly fierce; Dish Network, which plucked Blockbuster out of bankruptcy earlier this year, on Friday announced a Blockbuster-branded streaming and DVD-by-mail service.
As a “tidal wave” of Netflix competitors enter, Nomura media analyst Michael Nathanson said: “In the short-term, it will probably be good for the price of content,” because more bidders mean that media companies can charge more for the rights to stream movies like Avatar and shows like Modern Family.
More importantly, “in the long-term, it may accelerate changes in consumer behaviors,” Nathanson said, as more people choose to watch more video online.
Access to movies and TV shows is what matters most to Netflix, and Hollywood, after helping to build up the company with generous deals, is starting to play hardball. In February, Netflix is expected to lose the right to stream films from Walt Disney Studios and Sony Pictures Entertainment, the result of a failed renegotiation with the premium cable channel Starz.
However, Netflix’s biggest challenge at the moment is self-inflicted. This summer, in an attempt to raise cash to license more streaming content, the company increased the price for its combination Internet streaming and DVD service, angering customers.
On Sept. 18, it abruptly said it would split up the two services, frustrating fans of both.
About 1 million of its 25 million customers in the US are believed to have dropped the service in this quarter. The company has lost half of its value — about US$8 billion worth — over the past two months.
Katzenberg said he was confident about the direction Netflix was heading, calling the company’s decision to split streaming and DVD “a very tough and very strategic call that will ultimately prove to be the right one for long-term success.”
“Could it have been handled better? Absolutely. But there are always bumps when you’re looking around a corner,” he added.
Netflix will begin streaming DreamWorks films starting in 2013. The studio plans three releases that year: The Croods, a -prehistoric comedy; Turbo, about a garden snail; and Peabody & Sherman, an adaptation of Rocky and Bullwinkle characters. Titles from the DreamWorks library, including Kung Fu Panda and Antz, will become available over time, the companies said.
For DreamWorks Animation, which has suffered a sharp erosion in its stock price over the past few months, the deal with Netflix comes with one major perk (aside from sheer compensation). HBO requires its studio partners to suspend digital sales of movies during its exclusive window, but Netflix will allow DreamWorks to keep selling digital downloads.
What does the loss of DreamWorks mean for HBO? Anything that increases the marketplace clout of Netflix is damaging, but the premium TV service will likely not miss it much. HBO’s studio partners are increasingly making animated films and HBO recently brought in Summit Entertainment, the studio behind the Twilight films, as a new partner.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his