The TAIEX shed 2.4 percent, or 169.12 points, yesterday, closing at 6,877.12 points, below the psychologically critical 7,000 mark, as more foreign funds pulled out of the local market and domestic investors cut holdings on deepening worries of a Greek default.
Shares tumbled in line with losses across Asia, although Wall Street staged a modest rebound over the weekend, heightening a bearish sentiment that might drag the benchmark index lower in the near term, analysts said.
“Following the collapse of the 7,000-point defense, the market is now looking for the next support at 6,500 points,” Schroders Investment Management Taiwan vice president Tony Chen (陳同力) said by telephone.
This estimate could prove overoptimistic if Europe’s debt woes spread to Spain, Italy or other countries, triggering more massive selloffs, Chen said.
Ke Meng-cong (柯孟聰), a market analyst and vice president of SinoPac Securities Co (永豐金證券), said widespread investor panic was the reason behind the regional market plunge, and Taiwan is no exception.
However, because the local bourse has been dipping for eight months since this year’s high of 9,220 points on Feb. 8, a rebound is likely to come in the near term and investors should consider bottom fishing for long-term holdings, Ke said by telephone.
Yesterday’s turnover eased to NT$106.31 billion (US$3.38 billion), from NT$130 billion on Friday, with foreign institutional players trimming a net NT$3.15 billion in local shares, while proprietary dealers reduced a net NT$1 billion, Taiwan Stock Exchange (TWSE) data showed.
Foreign funds have cut a net US$2.84 billion in local shares this month, raising net sales to US$105.85 billion so far this year, according to TWSE statistics. Chen linked the capital movements partly to tightening liquidity in Europe, where banks are under pressure to shore up capital both to meet new accounting requirements and to prove financial health in the wake of credit downgrades.
Societe Generale, France’s second-largest listed bank, said on Friday in Taipei that it was financially strong, but would embark on leverage and cost reductions in the next few years to maintain its healthy credit profile.
Godwin Chang (張建西), chief country officer of Societe Generale’s Taipei branch, said its French headquarters is asking the Hong Kong branch to help raise funds, but operations here will remain unaffected because of limits on corporate and investment banking services.
Shares in Fubon Financial Holding Co (富邦金控), Taiwan’s second-largest financial services provider by assets, plunged 6.39 percent to NT$30.05 as the conglomerate struggles to emerge from a sports lottery scandal plaguing its subsidiary Taiwan Sport Lottery Corp (運彩), said Winson Wang (王榮旭), an analyst at Marbo Securities Consultant Co (萬寶證券投顧).
To calm jittery investors, Premier Wu Den-yih (吳敦義) said yesterday at the Legislative Yuan that the country’s GDP would continue to grow at 4.8 percent this year, despite the recent debt crisis in Europe and the weak economic recovery in the US.
However, the main bourse is set to usher in volatility in the near term despite its strong fundamentals, said James Yeh (葉鴻儒), an analyst at JPMorgan Asset Management Taiwan (摩根富林明投信).
“Taiwan is closely tied to international [market] movements and the key now lies in the resolution of eurozone debts and the US passage of a bill to spur employment,” he said in a note yesterday.
Additional reporting by Jason Tan
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his