As political tensions ease and trade ties boom, China is taking on a new challenge — to win over Taiwan with its culinary clout.
A number of China’s leading restaurant brands, notably Peking Quanjude (全聚德), Tianjin Goubuli (狗不理) and Chongqing Cygnet (小天鵝), are aiming to expand their business to the island as early as this year, the companies and reports said. Others might follow, with a delegation from more than 20 restaurant chains scheduled to visit Taiwan next month on a fact-finding trip, the Beijing-based China Cuisine Association said.
The expansion became possible when Taiwan recently lifted a decade-old ban on investment by Chinese firms or individuals — the latest step in rapidly improving ties.
PHOTO: AFP
Under the investment measures in effect since June 30, Chinese investors are permitted to buy into 100 categories in the Taiwan’s infrastructure, manufacturing and service sectors, including restaurants.
Over the years, various Chinese cuisines have taken root in Taiwan.
Famous dishes such as Peking duck and Sichuan hot pot are regular favorites. China still claims sovereignty over Taiwan but business and civil exchanges have boomed since President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) took office last year.
The main challenge for Chinese investors is to find the right local partner and serve genuine cuisine despite the lack of original ingredients — the reason hot pot chains Tanyutou (譚魚頭) and Little Sheep (小肥羊)stumbled in Taiwan after managing to invest indirectly through Hong Kong, observers say.
“Tanyutou’s partner wasn’t an industry pro while Little Sheep just can’t pull it off when its key ingredient, the Inner Mongolian sheep, was unavailable,” said food critic Wang Jue-yao.
Quanjude, China’s oldest Peking duck restaurant, is facing similar obstacles because of Taiwan’s ban on Chinese poultry imports over bird flu concerns.
“We want to make authentic Peking roast duck but Peking duck has fatty skin and tender meat while Taiwanese duck is leaner. There is still some gap” in taste, said Quanjude chef Bi Quansheng (畢全盛) at a recent promotion in Taipei.
The stakes are even higher now for the Chinese players looking to conquer Taiwan’s competitive culinary world, critic Wang said.
“Since none had been successful, for companies like Quanjude, which sees itself as China’s No. 1 restaurant brand, it must succeed at the first try. It is a face issue,” Wang said.
“The Taiwan market is very symbolic. It would be a sort of an ideological victory to be the first Chinese company to succeed here,” she said.
Some local restaurateurs, however, are skeptical about their Chinese peers’ plans for expansion.
“It is already very difficult to turn profits in Taiwan’s restaurant business and recent economic downturns make it even harder,” said Chuang Li-yu, who has run a Peking duck restaurant in Taipei for 30 years.
“I think those big-name Chinese restaurants can generate some buzz at first but after the novelty wears off they have to manage to build a loyal clientele,” she said.
Jennifer Shang (尚哈玲), chief of Beijing-based China Cuisine Association’s (中國烹飪協會) international division, is optimistic, saying Tanyutou’s closure in Taiwan was “an individual case” that should not discourage others.
“Members of our delegation are interested in the Taiwan market. They are looking forward to seeing it first hand and exchanging ideas with Taiwanese restaurateurs,” she told reporters.
Quanjude got a boost during a recent two-week food festival in the island’s two largest cities, Taipei and Kaohsiung, with patrons fully booking its duck banquet priced at around NT$7,260 (US$220) for a table of five.
“We are confident and it has long been our wish to make roast duck for Taiwanese people,” Quanjude vice general manager Liu Xiaohung (劉小虹) said in Taipei. “We believe it will meet most people’s taste.”
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his