Panasonic Corp, the world’s largest maker of consumer electronics, will seek to buy control of Sanyo Electric Co from its biggest shareholders, a company official familiar with the negotiations said.
Panasonic will make a formal acquisition proposal soon to Goldman Sachs Group Inc, Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corp and Daiwa Securities SMBC Co, the official said, declining to be identified because the plan has not been publicly disclosed.
“It’s not surprising to start to see some consolidation,” said Ed Rogers, chief executive officer at Tokyo-based hedge-fund adviser Rogers Investment Advisors YK.
Goldman and the two Japanese banks hold preferred shares equivalent to 70 percent of Sanyo, the world’s biggest maker of rechargeable batteries, received when they bailed out the company in February 2006. They agreed to hold the securities until March next year, and need Sanyo’s approval to sell before then.
The preferred shares would be worth more than US$6 billion if converted to common stock at Friday’s closing price of ¥145.
Panasonic will begin talks to buy a majority stake in Sanyo to expand into the solar power business, the Nikkei Shimbun reported earlier yesterday. Hiroyuki Okamoto, a spokesman for Sanyo, said he isn’t aware of any such negotiations.
Spokeswomen at Goldman and Sumitomo Mitsui declined to comment, and calls to Daiwa’s Tokyo office went unanswered.
Sanyo, the world’s leading maker of lithium ion batteries and the third-biggest solar panel producer in Japan, spent years losing money as competition prevented it from profiting on digital cameras and other consumer goods. The company refocused on rechargeable batteries and solar panels after the bailout, scaling back unprofitable businesses such as computer chips.
Panasonic is looking to expand into the fast-growing solar market, while batteries hold growth potential as carmakers move to develop electric vehicles, according to the report.
“There are certain industries that are more efficient than others and therefore the less efficient ones are going to be facing consolidation,” Rogers said. “A lot of guys have cash as Japan’s had five of the healthiest years since World War II.”
US solar power installations grew by 45 percent last year, the Solar Energy Industries Association reported. Sanyo plans to expand solar cell production capacity by 60 percent at a Japanese plant, Kyodo News said on Friday.
Sanyo, whose name means “three oceans,” also teamed up with Volkswagen AG, Europe’s largest carmaker, to develop a lithium-ion battery system for use in hybrid cars.
Panasonic has fared relatively better than Japan’s other electronics makers during the current global economic slump.
Less reliance on overseas demand compared with rivals including Sony Corp, coupled with strong demand for appliances such as washing machines in China and other markets, helped support profitability. The company beat its second-quarter profit estimates on Tuesday.
Combined projected sales of Panasonic and Sanyo for the year ending March 31 are about ¥11.2 trillion (US$113.6 million), company forecasts say.
That would surpass Hitachi Ltd as the nation’s biggest maker of electrical equipment and catapult Panasonic to the No. 3 spot in revenue among listed Japanese companies.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his