TAIEX down 0.3 percent
Taiwanese shares closed down 0.3 percent on profit-taking yesterday following a surge during the previous session, dealers said.
The weighted index closed down 20.02 points at 7,065.65, off a low of 6,998.13 and high of 7,098.68 on turnover of NT$88.52 billion (US$2.91 billion).
Advancers and decliners were even at 1,017, while 471 stocks were unchanged. A total of 28 stocks closed limit-up, while 31 were limit-down.
“Investors locked in profits after yesterday’s rally, but the sentiment has started to change, becoming a bit bullish if compared with pessimism prevailing in the market over the past few weeks,” said Michael Hsu (�?@) from Taiwan Life Asset Management (台壽保投信).
“Except notebook-related companies, most electronic industries are facing uncertainty regarding their outlook in the third and fourth quarter,” he said.
Hannstar inks Hitachi deal
Hannstar Display Corp (瀚宇彩晶), the nation’s fourth-largest maker of liquid-crystal displays (LCD), extended a patent agreement with Japan’s Hitachi Displays Ltd for the design of screens used in LCD monitors and TVs.
Hannstar and Hitachi Displays, a wholly owned unit of Hitachi Ltd, signed the six-year contract on cross licensing of LCD patents yesterday, Hannstar said in a filing to the stock exchange. The Taoyuan-based company did not disclose financial terms.
The agreement has been backdated to Jan. 1 and will last until the end of 2012, the statement said. Hitachi and Hannstar said in November 2002 they will share patents that will last through June.
Hannstar also has an LCD patent agreement with Sharp Corp.
Taipower sells bonds
State-run Taiwan Power Co (Taipower, 台電) sold NT$9.5 billion in bonds to help fund new generators and transmission lines.
Taipower sold NT$2.55 billion in three-year notes, NT$3.9 billion in five-year bonds and NT$3.05 billion in seven-year debt, the utility said in an e-mailed statement yesterday.
Taipower could sell as much as NT$80 billion of bonds this year to help fund spending of about NT$160 billion on power plants and networks this year, company spokesman Clint Chou (周義岳) said.
Including yesterday’s transactions, the company has sold NT$40.5 billion in debt since the start of this year, Chou said.
The utility has an Aaa.tw rating from Moody’s Investors Service, the highest for any Taiwanese company from the US credit rating firm.
CCP to look at economy
China’s political elite will meet this week to discuss key economic policy for the rest of the year amid concerns over slowing growth, high inflation and weak exports, a report said yesterday.
The gathering of the key Chinese Communist Party (CCP) politburo will follow visits by top leaders to the country’s main economic strongholds and export bases in recent weeks, the South China Morning Post reported, citing unnamed sources.
“Their missions to related regions were urgently planned to prepare them with first-hand information on the latest developments in the economic powerhouses,” a government economist was quoted as saying.
China’s economy grew 10.1 percent in the second quarter, down from 10.6 percent in the first quarter, figures released last week showed.
NT drops against greenback
The NT dollar dropped NT$0.018 to close at NT$30.381 against the US dollar on the Taipei Forex Inc yesterday.
Turnover was US$696 million, up from US$686 million the previous day.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his