China has released a draft of a long-awaited energy law that calls for the country to keep larger reserves of oil, uranium and other key resources and to set up a new government department.
But the draft law makes scant mention of measures needed to counter soaring emissions of greenhouse gases linked to global climate change.
Beijing has no separate energy ministry, and the lack of unified policies for the industry is viewed as one factor behind recent fuel shortages, price gouging and other problems.
The new law is intended to help the country better develop the strategically vital energy sector. The government will collect opinions on the draft until Feb. 2 and later is expected to present it to the National People's Congress for approval.
The draft law calls for setting up an energy department directly controlled by the State Council to oversee related industries.
According to state media reports on the law, the department would exercise stronger control over market entry and pricing than the energy division that's now part of China's main planning agency, the National Development and Reform Commission.
China, the world's second-largest consumer and importer of oil after the US, has made improved management of its energy sector a strategic priority.
"China ... needs a unified, agreed-upon energy department. Otherwise everyone will carry on according to his own agenda and that doesn't benefit the country's energy strategy," the state-run newspaper Shanghai Securities News quoted Yan Luguang (嚴陸光), a researcher at the China Academy of Sciences, as saying.
Article 5 of the proposed law calls for China to adjust its energy use to help protect the environment. The government would support recycling, emissions reductions and development of "clean" energy resources such as solar, wind and tidal power and other changes "effective against climate change," according to a copy of the draft distributed online by the newspaper.
As it rivals the US as the world's leading emitter of greenhouse gases, China has pledged to raise efficiency and reduce emissions.
But it has fallen short of national targets and shied away from binding international commitments such as the Kyoto Protocol, saying such requirements would interfere with economic development.
Meanwhile, it remains heavily dependent on highly polluting coal for three-quarters of its electricity.
The draft energy law takes the form of broad guidelines that would be later implemented through more detailed administrative regulations. It does not specify any detailed measures for emissions reductions and other environmental issues.
One major focus of the new law is energy security -- an obsession for a country growing increasingly dependent on imports of oil, coal and other key commodities.
Major investments in energy industries must be controlled by the state, the draft says.
The draft law requires Chinese oil companies to build up their own government-managed reserves to supplement government stockpiles that began filling last year.
Such a plan would add to pressures on China's oil and refining companies, whose profits have already been squeezed because government price controls prevent them from passing surging costs for crude oil on to consumers.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his