TAIEX ends higher
Share prices closed 1.65 percent higher yesterday after US Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke's comments bolstered hopes that US borrowing costs would fall next month.
The weighted index closed up 139.37 points at 8,586.40 on turnover of NT$131.92 billion (US$4.08 billion).
Risers led decliners 1,525 to 581, with 358 stocks unchanged. A total of 47 stocks closed limit-up, while 30 were limit-down.
The transport sector was up 3.9 percent, the food sector jumped 3.68 percent, construction gained 3.58 percent and electronics rose 1.64 percent.
"Hopes of a rate cut helped ease worries over the US economy and consumption," Oliver Fang (方元及) of Yuanta Securities (元大證券) said.
"Given Taiwan's trade ties with US and the mainland [China], developments there will be crucial to our stocks going forward," he said.
Chipmaker Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (台積電) gained NT$0.60 to close at NT$60.60, while smaller rival United Microelectronics Corp. (聯電) added NT$0.15 to NT$19.30.
China wants more expats
China needs 150,000 foreign professionals in areas from energy to agriculture by 2010 to boost economic development, the China Daily said yesterday.
The world's most populous country is "in dire need of talented people from abroad to help with development and innovation," the report said.
"We will announce more laws and regulations, as well as preferential policies, to better protect foreign experts' rights and interests by working together with government departments," the daily quoted Ji Yunshi (季允石), head of the State Administration of Foreign Experts Affairs, as saying.
New rules would help foreigners deal with problems such as medical insurance and education for their children, Ji said.
Far Eastern appoints new chair
The board of Far Eastern Air Transport Inc (遠東航空) yesterday approved the promotion of vice chairman Lin Bao-chang (林寶漳) to chairman, replacing incumbent Michael Lo (樂大信), a company statement said.
Lo, who was in the dark about the board's decision, told reporters that he had not submitted his resignation and had not been informed of the reshuffle.
The company's board said that Lo, who took office in July, was replaced because of differences in management, the statement said, without giving details.
The board also approved a motion to liquidate its ownership in Xiamen Air Cargo Terminal for approximately NT$300 million.
Far Eastern reported losses in the first three quarters. The company said it hoped to break even in the fourth quarter and post a profit next year.
Chunghwa buys Siemens gear
Chunghwa Telecom Co (中華電信), Taiwan's biggest phone company, said yesterday it bought a batch of telecom equipment from Siemens AG's local unit for NT$1.02 billion (US$30 million), aiming to upgrade its broadband network.
In a filing to the Taiwan Stock Exchange, Chunghwa Telecom said the equipment from Siemens Telecommunication Systems Ltd (台灣吉悌電信) will be used to build next-generation networks (NGN).
Chunghwa Telecom also said it would release information about buying Research In Motion's (RIM) Blackberry phones at a proper time, in response to a Commercial Times report that it would start selling 3G Blackberry phones by the end of this year.
NT dollar up for the week
The New Taiwan dollar advanced 0.2 percent in the past five days to close at NT$32.268 against the greenback yesterday.
Turnover totaled US$1.193 billion yesterday.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his