Sunrise Department Store (中興百貨) promised to redeem NT$2.5 million (US$77,400) in vouchers in circulation should the store's concessionaires refuse to honor the vouchers, a company executive said yesterday.
"All vouchers can be cashed [at the counters] on the basement floor," Sunrise president Jeff Tsai (蔡振世) told reporters yesterday, one day after some concessionaires refused to accept Sunrise-issued vouchers and expressed concern over media reports of the retailer bouncing checks.
valid
Tsai assured consumers that all vouchers issued by the retailer remain valid, while rejecting media reports that it plans to shut down its Taipei store after bouncing NT$300 million in checks.
"We are experiencing some management difficulties and are seeking a new buyer," Tsai said. "But closure isn't an option."
Although the retailer owes NT$900 million in combined debts, Tsai said that it was not imperative for the company to shut down as it still had NT$2 billion in total assets.
He admitted that the company was facing a liquidity problem after some suppliers insisted on cashing their checks in advance.
The company is in talks with suppliers to ease the credit crunch and maintain normal operations, Tsai said.
Tsai attributed the department store's financial difficulties to a "sluggish economy," saying revenues during its anniversary sale promo early this month achieved less than 70 percent of its NT$350 million goal.
Formerly known as Sesame Department Store (
Sunrise was one of the first retailers to introduce upscale brands such as Armani in Taiwan, but slow business later forced the company to close two of its branches -- Xinyi in July 2004 and Hsinchu in July 2005 -- leaving a single outlet in Taipei.
competition
Like most other smaller players, Sunrise faces stiff competition from neighboring retailers, such as Breeze Center (
Meanwhile, retailer Idee Department Store's (
Idee, an affiliate of the debt-ridden Rebar Asia Pacific Group (
Shinkong spokesman and chief financial officer Kevin Ho (
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his