Asia's shipping trade is expected to grow sharply led by China and India, but the region must enhance security and invest some US$27 billion to build over 430 new container berths by 2011 to meet rising demand, shippers and analysts said yesterday.
China's booming economy and its emergence as the world's second top container market will boost intra-regional trade, rather than threaten the growth of other Asian ports, they said at a two-day maritime conference in Kuala Lumpur.
The Malaysian Maritime Institute president Jaffar Lamri said Asia remained the dominant player in the global shipping industry, with its container trade projected to grow at an annual average rate of seven percent between 2000 and 2007.
Eleven Asian ports are already among the world's top 20 ports, and contributed 46 percent of the world's total container boxes of 20-foot-equivalent-units (TEUs) throughput, he said.
By 2011, he said Asia was expected to handle 206.7 million TEUs, including 64 million in transshipment and this required large port investments to cope with the growth.
"Over 430 new container berths are required in Asia-Pacific region to handle container traffic in 2011, at an estimated cost of US$27 billion," Jaffar told the forum.
He said China was emerging as the world's second-largest container market in line with its economic boom and growing trade with the US, while India was a "sleeping Bengal tiger" that would be a major player if it awakens.
"China and India are leading the industry but I think smaller countries are developing their own niche markets. I don't think China's growth will be a threat to the region. Volume is growing and the industry is big enough for everybody," he said, adding that Indonesia and Thailand have strong growth potential.
Worldwide, he said container traffic was projected to grow from 87.1 million TEUs last year to 94.4 million this year and to 104 million next year. By 2010, it is expected to hit 400 million to 460 million TEUs and 510 million to 610 million in 2015.
Ashwin Pavan, regional commercial general manager for shipping giant Maersk Sealand International, said China was an important market for shippers and Maersk has positioned a large fleet in the country to tap the boom.
"I don't see China as a threat to Southeast Asia but its growth will help to boost intra-regional trade," he told reporters on the sidelines of the conference.
Maersk views Thailand and Vietnam as high growth markets but Indonesia's potential is dampened by its weak security enforcement, he said.
"Security is a big concern and has been underplayed by shippers. There is a slowly growing awareness among regional governments on the need to improve security but it is still not where it is supposed to be," he said.
Earlier, Malaysia's Transport Minister Chan Kong Choy, in his keynote address, said the government was committed to anti-terrorist measures for ports and vessels imposed by the International Maritime Organization.
He said 84 out of 86 Malaysian ports and 358 Malaysian ships engaged in international trade have complied with the International Ship and Port Facility Security code, and plans were underway to establish a single port authority and tighten shipping regulations next year.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his