Negotiators at the WTO moved closer to a crucial agreement on salvaging global trade talks yesterday as they said an accord on the thorny issue of agriculture was within reach.
Working on borrowed time after a missed deadline on Friday night, the WTO's 147 member states struggled to overcome their differences and agree on a draft framework to revive a multi-billion-dollar trade round.
PHOTO: EPA
A core group of about 20 delegates, representing all parties to the global trading club from rich to poor, reconvened at the WTO's Geneva headquarters in a last ditch attempt to hammer out the long-awaited deal after working long into the night on the farming text.
The stakes here are high, as failure to strike an accord this weekend would likely wreck immediate chances of reviving the stalled Doha talks this year, while casting a shadow over the entire multilateral trading system.
After almost three years of negotiations and, most recently, five days of intense meetings in Geneva, wealthy and developing countries appeared close to a breakthrough on how to tackle farming issues, which helped to topple a ministerial meeting in Mexico last year, stalling the Doha round.
"A consensus on an agricultural framework is within our grasp. There are some remaining problems of an important, though not irreconcilable, nature," the WTO's chief spokesman, Keith Rockwell, told reporters.
The debate on farming had finished and delegates were discussing another hot topic -- industrial import tariffs, also known as non-agricultural market access.
"We are moving on to other issues. We hope that in the near future we can get a full agreement on a July package," Rockwell said.
The Group of 90 poorest countries said they could live with the farm draft provided progress is made on industrial tariff reduc-tions, which cover a range of products from cars to cellphones.
"They have not got all that they wanted but they are willing to move the process forward ... we are willing to support the text," said a delegate from an African nation, who asked to remain anonymous.
Boosting the rare sense of agreement, EU Agriculture Commissioner Franz Fischler confirmed that the EU was ready to okay farming.
"I think we have the capacity to say yes to the agreement," he said.
Underscoring the desire to compromise, the US and African cotton-producing countries overcame a key sticking point on Friday by agreeing to include talks on lowering subsidies paid by the US to its cotton farmers.
At the same time, Japan appeared unhappy with a part of the farm draft that covered countries' ability to protect products deemed particularly sensitive, such as rice.
"There is still a problem on sensitive products," said Ichi Nakagawa, the Japanese trade minister, while adding: "We will consult with our capitals and there is good prospect for an agreement."
Farming, including export subsidies, access to markets and the support paid to farmers, has persistently raised fears.
Delegates, however, were confident that the non-farming debate would soon be concluded, enabling countries to settle the final elements of an overall accord by the end of the day.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his