■ Consumer confidence slips
Consumer confidence dropped slightly from last month's 76.95 points to 75.86 points this month, according to a report released yesterday by the Research Center for Taiwan Economic Development at National Central University.
The decline was mainly caused by respondents' lack of confidence in stock investment and consumer price fluctuations in the next six months.
Stock-market prospects saw the biggest dip to 40.8 points -- down from last month's 50.5 points -- hitting its lowest mark since November 2001.
According to the survey conducted between July 18 and July 22, 73.6 percent of the 2,020 respondents voiced pessimism on buying stocks, while 70.8 percent said they were worried that consumer price hikes are looming in the six months to come.
■ Kids saving, not spending
Youngsters born in the 1980s are often assumed to be spendthrifts who can't hold on to money, but a survey released yesterday said this stereotype is incorrect.
The online poll was conducted by the Chinese-language business monthly Smart (智富月刊) between June 20 and July 15 among 1,087 respondents aged from 18 to 23.
Roughly 70 percent of those polled said they wouldn't even ask their parents for money; instead, they said they would choose to save money for purchases.
In terms of average expenditure, 53 percent of them spent less than NT$5,000 per month, while 35 percent spent NT$5,000 to NT$10,000 a month.
However, the survey showed that 21 percent of these young adults incurred debts, mainly student loans, in an early age.
For those who have student loans, up to 27 percent said they owe NT$200,000 to NT$500,000, according to the survey.
■ Chipmakers plan to invest
The nation's four major memory chipmakers plan to invest more than US$10 billion in their businesses to keep up with rivals, Nikkei English News reported.
The move by Powerchip Semiconductor Corp (力晶半導體), ProMOS Technologies Inc (茂德科技), Nanya Technology Corp (南亞科技) and Winbond Electronics Corp (華邦電子) is designed to help the companies keep up with large investments by Japanese and South Korean rivals, Nikkei said.
Taiwan has about 20 percent of the global double-data-rate dynamic random access memory (DRAM) chip market.
The companies' investments in production capacity are likely to lead to an oversupply and to cause a shakeup of the industry, Nikkei said.
Powerchip is likely to invest about US$2.1 billion, ProMOS will invest about US$4.5 billion, Nanya is seeking funding of about US$2 billion and Winbond has started investing about US$1.5 billion, Nikkei said.
■ ECCT tops 300 firms
The European Chamber of Commerce Taipei (ECCT) said in a statement yesterday that its corporate membership has passed 300 for the first time.
ECCT chief executive officer Guy Wittich attributed the 50 percent increase in two years to the chamber's lobbying and networking reputation, and to the fact that it has more committees than Taiwan's other foreign chambers.
"We are the only one in Taipei covering the retail, luxury goods and automobile sectors," Wittich said, and the Automotive Committee is planning to hire its own staff member to help with lobbying efforts, Wittich said.
■ NT dollar up
The New Taiwan dollar yesterday turned strong against its US counterpart, rising NT$0.014 to close at NT$34.185 on the Taipei foreign exchange market.
Turnover was US$636 million.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his