Vice Premier Lin Hsin-i (
"The worst is over," said Lin, who doubles as chairman of the Cabinet-level Council for Economic Planning and Development, at a year-end press conference.
"We are even more bullish about next year's economic performance," Lin said.
Lin described a "5:4:3" goal for President Chen Shui-bian's (
Firstly, the nation's public spending, if approved by the legislature, will be successful in boosting the GDP growth rate from 3.15 percent this year to around 5 percent next year, Lin said.
Secondly, the government's NT$20 billion jobs program, implemented after the outbreak of SARS this year, has helped lower the unemployment rate.
Therefore, the government expects the jobless rate to decline to below 5 percent by the year's end, and further drop to 4 percent by 2005, Lin said.
Finally, the government has planned to raise the nation's budget for research and development (R&D) efforts, which currently account for 2.16 percent of the GDP, or NT$11 billion, to an estimated 3 percent of GDP in 2006, Lin added.
"A 5 percent GDP growth rate should be achievable next year," said Wu Rong-i (吳榮義), president of the Taiwan Institute of Economic Research (TIER, 台經院).
Wu said the institute is optimistic about the nation's economic outlook, citing a survey released yesterday.
The survey found that the business climate index rose from 115.08 in October to 116.03 points last month -- the sixth monthly rise in the past seven months and the second highest level since March 1979.
Wu said momentum for the upcoming economic recovery is bolstering manufacturers' sentiments, since the survey also found some 40.4 percent of companies polled expressed optimism about business conditions over the next six months -- a big jump from 27.8 percent in October.
Only 5.8 percent of the polled manufacturers said they were pessimistic about business conditions over the next six months, the survey said.
While highlighting the government's economic goals, the vice premier yesterday also took the opportunity to stress the importance of the expansionary fiscal policies that the government has adopted as an economic cure.
According to Lin, the government currently employs a total of 70,000 part-time workers, half of whom the council found are from the construction sector.
If the government further kick-starts its public construction projects, these unemployed workers will be able to return to the labor-force marketplace, he said, adding that the tourism and care-taking industries will be another two sectors that can create plenty of jobs for middle-aged and elderly jobless people.
In response to the economic challenge posed by China, Lin yesterday said that Taiwan needs to diversify its value-added competitive edge so as to retain the upper hand in the inevitable process of cross-strait economic integration.
He also said that the government has completed a thorough evaluation of the impact of direct links with China, which Chen has vowed to carry out in two years, if re-elected.
"We're ready," he said, refusing to detail the government's evaluation, which he said was Taiwan's bargaining chip during future economic policy negotiations with Chinese authorities.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his