Nearly 500 people attended a workshop sponsored by TaipeiBank (台北銀行) yesterday in Kinmen for the purpose of recruiting lottery sale agents.
The participants, who arrived in wheelchairs, on crutches and in Mercedes Benz and Cadillac limousines, scrambled to win the agent rights for the TaipeiBank lottery, which has been a cash cow for the island since its introduction more than one year ago.
TaipeiBank allows only physically challenged or low-income individuals to be its lottery agents.
At present, there are 13 lottery agents on Kinmen, but TaipeiBank is planning to increase the number by 18 to meet the sales demand, which the TaipeiBank authorities believe to be brisk partly because of strong buying from China.
According to recent reports, the opening of the "small three links" has not only benefited traders between Kinmen and the China, it has also offered the hope of getting rich quick to lottery players from both sides of the Taiwan Strait.
A small lottery sales booth in Kinmen was confirmed by Taipei-Bank recently to be the third-largest of all the bank's sales agents in terms of sales volume.
According to TaipeiBank tallies, sales of lottery tickets issued by government-run bank totaled about NT$79 billion (US$2.29 billion) last year. Of that total, 8 percent, or some NT$6.32 billion (US$183 million), was paid as commission to lottery sales booths, including those in Kinmen and Penghu.
On average, each of the 4,900 sales booths around the country made NT$1.26 million (US$36,522) in sales commission last year.
However, the difference in the amount of business at such booths last year was large, with the top 20 outlets in terms of sales commission each making more than NT$5 million (US$144,928).
Surprised by the huge sales posted by the small Kinmen outlet, TaipeiBank officials recently traveled there to investigate.
They discovered that local Kinmen residents are not the outlet's only customers, with a large portion of sales being made to lottery players from Fujian Province who sail across the Strait to buy tickets.
According to a Kinmen lottery salesman, the Chinese are keen buyers because they think the Taiwan lottery is fairer than its Chinese counterparts and has larger jackpots, often as high as NT$100 million.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort