Softbank Asia Infrastructure Fund, a venture of Softbank Corp and Cisco Systems Inc, said it and the company's partners won't bid for communications network operator Asia Global Crossing Ltd.
Hong Kong billionaire Li Ka-shing's Hutchison Whampoa Ltd also said it won't make an offer after saying it would. Asia Global Crossing runs a 40,000km network of undersea cables linking eight Asian countries to the US.
Asia Global Crossing invited bids that were due by today to raise money so it can stay afloat after parent Global Crossing Ltd refused to lend US$400 million and filed for US bankruptcy protection in January. The Asian unit said in February that it had hired investment bank Lazard LLC to help find funding.
"In the future, whether we bid or not totally depends on the legal proceedings of the parent company and the current bidding going on," Andrew Yan, president of the Softbank fund, said in a telephone interview.
The Softbank fund's pullout shows the difficulties investors face in valuing Hamilton, Bermuda-based Asia Global Crossing.
Global Crossing, which owns 59 percent of the Asian unit, also may face a bidding contest. The Asian unit is reorganizing the debt of Pacific Crossing Ltd, which owns its key link to the US West Coast.
The Softbank fund said in April it was weighing a bid for Asia Global Crossing in conjunction with the US-based Carlyle Group, Hong Kong-based Citic Pacific Ltd and London-based Delta Associates. Spokesman for the Softbank partners couldn't be reached for comment on the withdrawal.
The fund is a venture between Softbank Corp, Japan's biggest Internet investment company, and Cisco, the world's largest maker of computer networking equipment. Softbank Corp. is a founding partner of Asia Global Crossing, along with Microsoft Corp Both own 14.7 percent.
One Cisco shareholder said it would have been a bad idea for the San Jose, California-based company to own a stake in a prospective client.
"It's obviously not a good idea to own your customers or potential customers" because of conflicts of interest, said Shawn Campbell, a telecommunications-equipment analyst at Northern Trust Corp, which manages US$337 billion and held 54.7 million Cisco shares on March 31.
"It hasn't been a good idea to own anything in the [telecommunications] service provider space," Campbell said.
Asia Global Crossing has said it may issue new shares to dilute Global Crossing's stake, enabling a change of control.
Global Crossing, which is trying to emerge from Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in the US, will help determine Asia Global Crossing's fate, Chief Executive Officer John Legere said in an interview.
"The process is not going to close itself off and come to a conclusion without the ability for Global Crossing to participate," Legere said yesterday. "At the time that investors come into Global Crossing," they will determine how the company will "support" Asia Global Crossing, he said.
One possible scenario, he said, would be "having these companies eventually operating together." He didn't elaborate.
Madelyn Smith, an Asia Global Crossing spokeswoman, declined to say how many bids the company has received.
The company said last month that potential investors had fallen to nine from an initial 19.
"Management and our advisers are receiving a number of bids today, and we expect to announce more details early next week," Smith said.
China Netcom Communication Group Corp, China's second-biggest fixed-line telephone company, said this week that it plans to bid. Purple Communications Ltd, a closely held, Hong Kong-based telecommunications company, also plans to make an offer, the Asian Wall Street Journal reported earlier today.
Hutchison, a ports and tele-communications group, said in April it was considering an offer. The company said yesterday that it won't make one.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his