Fearing the fight against terrorism could derail efforts at free trade, top officials from 21-nations wrapped up a meeting Thursday by calling on countries to speed up work on the next round of WTO negotiations.
Members of the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation Forum, gathered since Wednesday in this seaside resort, said countries were making "substantial progress" in cracking down on terrorism financing, and praised governments for making air and maritime travel more secure while increasing cooperation on border security.
In a joint statement, the members of APEC said nations still need to "increase economic growth as well as to ensure a stable and safe environment for trade, investment, travel and tourism."
"The collective and individual efforts of APEC economies have limited the economic fallout from the Sept. 11 attacks and strengthened the resolve of ministers to push ahead with APEC's ambitious trade and investment liberalization and facilitation agenda," the statement said.
The ministers set several procedural deadlines aimed at helping nations reach consensus before the next round of WTO negotiations, scheduled to be held in September 2003 in Cancun, Mexico.
Australian Trade Minister Mark Vaile said the deadlines were aimed at encouraging countries to "get on with the job and finish the procedural matters so we can get on with the substantive issues" after the latest round of WTO negotiations in Doha, Qatar, last November.
The ministers welcomed both China and Taiwan's inclusion in the WTO and supported Russia and Vietnam's efforts to join the body that sets rules for and polices world trade.
They also discussed how to ensure that free trade benefits all countries, including developing ones, and studied ways to help small and medium-size businesses compete in the global economy.
When asked about concerns that China is flooding Mexico's market with cheap goods, Chinese Deputy Trade Minister Lu Fuyan countered that China imports many Mexican goods and its imports are growing.
Several reporters tried to push the Chinese minister to comment further on allegations that China is dumping cheap goods in the Mexican market. But Mexican Economy Secretary Luis Ernesto Derbez, who will soon lead a Mexican trade mission to China, discouraged a reply, saying "we shouldn't think about the risks, but the opportunities" of trade.
The meeting builds on an APEC summit last October in which Pacific Rim leaders demanded international cooperation in fighting terrorism, and is one of several meetings leading up to an APEC summit scheduled for October in Mexico.
On Wednesday during a private retreat, ministers talked about ways to persuade countries to eliminate tariffs and other trade barriers -- especially in light of the recent focus on terrorism and the US' decision to raise agricultural subsidies by 70 percent.
Many countries argue the move is against WTO rules. But US Trade Representative Robert Zoellick, who left the APEC meeting early Friday and did not participate in the final news conference, argued that tariffs in European and other countries must come down first.
"We will continue to push for ambitious agricultural liberalization and reform on a global level," he said in a statement issued after his departure.
The WTO's 144 member countries agreed last November to launch new trade negotiations that included a "reduction of, with a view to phasing out, all forms of export subsidies" and cuts in domestic subsidies.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his