To avoid paying over the odds, contenders in the auction for third-generation (3G) wireless licenses are keeping bids as low as possible early in the bidding process, an industry expert said yesterday.
"That's why today's bidding progress was even slower than on the first day, and bidders are focusing on the license with the lowest price," said Dung Chia-chung (
On Wednesday, six firms began bidding for five 3G licenses, with the floor price of each license based on the amount of bandwidth.
The companies will continue bidding for the licenses until one of the companies pulls out, which should be by the end of this month, according to the government's schedule.
Yesterday, the second day of bidding, the only bids made were for the license with the smallest bandwidth. After chasing each other for eight rounds, Yuan-Ze Telecom Co (遠致電信) raised its bid against 3GO Telecommunications Corp (世界全通) from NT$4.242 billion to NT$4.598 billion.
There were no bids for the remaining four licenses on day two, with Taiwan Cellular Corp (台灣大哥大), Taiwan PCS Network Inc (聯邦電信), Chunghwa Telecom Co (中華電信) and Asia Pacific Broadband Wireless Communication Inc (亞太行動寬頻) posting the highest bids.
Bids for the five hit NT$35.017 billion, around NT$1.42 billion higher than the minimum price set by the government, which had hoped the final license sales would generate NT$60 billion for state coffers.
The smaller bandwidth implies smaller system capacity, and therefore less customer usage. That factor keeps away the big players.
"Mega-players like Chunghwa and Taiwan Cellular are not interested in it," Dung said.
However, the analyst said Yuan-Ze, a unit of Far EasTone Telecommunication Ltd (遠傳電信), might not stick to that license if the price keeps rising.
When the bid for that license rises above NT$6 billion, the contenders may abandon the small-capacity license and move on to a larger capacity one, Dung said.
Meanwhile, based on the glacial progress of the auction, one official said the government's target amount would be "hard to get."
"We estimate the final amount can only be 20 or 30 percent more than the minimum prices set by the government," said an anonymous official at the Directorate General of Telecommunications.
And although high-speed wireless operators want to capitalize on public expectations of being able to access the Internet via their cellular phones, these kinds of services are still far from reality.
"Taking into consideration the time needed to establish the network, for testing, to make the handsets and adapt the applications, 3G access is at least three years off in Taiwan," said Nathan Lin (林宗賢), a telecom analyst at National Securities Corp (建宏證券).
"It is a long-term, huge investment which only giants can afford," he said.
In 2000, auctions for 3G licenses in Britain and Germany generated a combined US$78 billion for those governments, but critics said the multi-billion dollar price puts too high a financial burden on mobile operators and hampers their ability to develop the technology to its fullest potential.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his