The "battle of the conferences" on Afghanistan has been postponed by one day as participants require more time for preliminary discussions, a conference spokesman said here Friday.
Representatives from Afghan groups seeking to oust the Taliban militia were to meet starting tomorrow in Bonn, Germany, but "the talks will now open on Tuesday, not on Monday," spokesman Ahmad Fawzi said.
Fawzi is a spokesman for Lakhdar Brahimi, the UN special representative on Afghanistan, who convened the conference to bring the triumphant Northern Alliance together with three other Afghan groups.
The delay "will allow the delegations to confer bilaterally, so we will have time on the UN side to confer with delegations, and the delegations can prepare among themselves before the official start of the conference on Tuesday," Fawzi said.
Others represented at the conference will be former king Zahir Shah, the Pashtun tribes in southern Afghanistan who make up most of the population, and some four million refugees, most of whom live in Iran and Pakistan.
The spokesman said he expected as many as 30 Afghan participants, but was as yet unable to name any of them, nor say how many would represent each group.
"Mr Brahimi is organizing a conference on Afghanistan for Afghans," he said.
"We are not telling them who should attend. It will be a very flexible, very open conference."
Both the Alliance and Shah have polished their credentials with the UN by saying their delegations at Bonn will include women.
Fawzi also declined comment on how many other countries would send delegations and their status at the talks.
From Berlin, a German government spokesman said Foreign Minister Joschka Fischer would attend the opening ceremony at the invitation of the UN, but otherwise only Afghan representatives and UN officials would take part.
Fawzi said he expected most of the Afghan participants to arrive today at the Petersberg hotel that is hosting the event near Bonn.
Asked what Brahimi hoped would come out of the talks, he said: "The measure of success will be if we can come up with a formula for a transitional government" for Afghanistan.
Brahimi had earlier telescoped the agenda, saying the creation of a small administration for the capital, Kabul, should take priority over the larger provisional council that had been slated to choose its members.
But Fawzi stressed Friday that even if the talks did succeed "it will only the first step in a long road towards achieving good governance for Afghanistan."
Forces of the alliance, which ignored the urgings of the US and seized Kabul on Nov. 13, have expressed willingness to share power with everyone but the Taliban.
But the alliance's political figurehead, former Afghan president Burhanuddin Rabbani, disagreed that it was necessary to set up an administration in the capital without waiting for talks in Germany.
Rabbani told the Moscow daily Vremya Novostei that the talks -- to be held at the isolated mountain-top hotel overlooking the river Rhine -- were "insignificant," expressing the hope they would be the last negotiations to be held outside Afghanistan.
Brahimi brushed aside the inferred slight, telling reporters "that is not what they told us," although if the Alliance doesn't send senior negotiators, it will bode ill for the talks.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats