The British and American governments attempted to bolster public support for the next stage of the war in Afghanistan on Thursday, publishing a list of 22 "examples of Taliban and al-Qaeda atrocities."
With the former Afghan regime preparing for a last stand at Kandahar, the coalition information center (CIC) has gone on the offensive. The catalogue of massacres, rapes and mutilations is aimed at stiffening resolve in the West for what may be the costly task of defeating Mullah Omar and Osama bin Laden.
"Al-Qaeda and the Taliban told us at their press conference that it is time to `forget' their murder of thousands of innocent people from more than 80 countries on September 11," the five-page document declares. "As president Bush has said: `We will never forget all the innocent people killed by the hatred of a few.' Presumably al-Qaeda and the Taliban would like the world to forget about their atrocities against the innocent."
The document was drawn up by the CIC -- a transatlantic cooperation involving press offices in Whitehall and Washington -- to counter anti-Western propaganda.
London's contributions are sourced from British newspapers and TV stations, some American extracts are from the US State Department and the department of defense, and others are from Human Rights Watch.
Among cases reported in the document are:
-- The "castration" of the former Afghan president, Najibullah in 1996. The Taliban "dragged his body behind a jeep for several rounds of the palace and then shot him dead."
-- The 1998 massacre of 600 Uzbeks in the province of Faryab. "Western aid workers ... said civilians were dragged from their homes, lined up and shot."
-- After the capture of Mazar-i-Sharif in 1998 the Taliban indulged in the "frenzied killing of shop owners, cart pullers, women and children shoppers." Women and girls were raped, and 2,000 to 5,000 civilians were massacred.
-- The public execution in Yakaolang of at least 170 civilians, mainly from humanitarian organizations. "According to Amnesty International, eyewitnesses reported the deliberate killing of dozens of civilians hiding in a mosque."
-- Other reports include accounts from refugees and human rights groups of the beating of infants, killing of children and hanging of bodies from lampposts.
The report does not mention the actions of other Afghan factions during the 20-year civil war.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats