Iraq's Deputy Prime Minister Tareq Aziz said in an interview with a British newspaper yesterday that the US and Britain planned to launch 1,000 missiles at 300 Iraqi targets in a bid to topple President Saddam Hussein under the pretext of waging war against terrorism.
"We know that they are preparing for such an attack," he told <
"We know that it is just a matter of time."
He added: "When they decide to attack Iraq it will be for their own agenda because they want to replace this government because it is independent and will not bow. It will not be because of what is happening in the US."
The US and Britain have said they would keep close tabs on Iraq as they move ahead with their anti-terrorism campaign following the Sept. 11 assault on New York and Washington, but have not identified the country as a target for military strikes.
US Secretary of State Colin Powell and British Foreign Secretary Jack Straw said Wednesday that Iraq could be a target if evidence was found linking it to specific acts of terrorism but insisted their current campaign was focused solely on Afghanistan -- accused of harboring Osama bin Laden, prime suspect of Sept. 11.
But some current and former US officials argue that Iraq could have been involved in the assaults on the World Trade Center and Pentagon and the subsequent discovery in America of potentially deadly anthrax spores.
With those suspicions in mind, these officials have pressed for the military campaign on Afghanistan to be expanded to include Iraq.
Aziz said any attack would be a "very grave mistake."
"The Arab world is not going to tolerate that at all because they know that this is unjust and is sheer aggression," he told the paper.
But he said it would not launch military retaliation.
"Political actions and stances will be taken by the Arabs which will add to the isolation of the United States."
He said he hoped Britain would make a "wise" and "calculated" judgement and not join the US in the attack.
"Up until now, what I am reading and hearing ... suggests that they do not want to and I hope that their position will remain so."
The deputy prime minister said allegations that Iraq was behind the release of anthrax bacteria in the US were "baseless" and "ridiculous."
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats