Chinese authorities are detaining Rio Tinto Ltd’s top iron ore negotiator on suspicion of espionage and stealing state secrets, Australia said yesterday, threatening to strain already fraying ties.
Details about the detention of Stern Hu (胡士泰), as well as three other Rio employees, emerged just as a Shanghai paper reported Chinese steel mills have finally given in on annual iron ore prices, agreeing to the same 33 percent cut that other Asian steelmakers set earlier, but for six months instead of a year.
It was unclear whether there was any tie between the two events, but the detention follows a period of increasingly tense relations between the two vast trading partners, with iron ore negotiations running past the June 30 deadline and Rio snubbing a planned US$19.5 billion investment by Chinalco (中國鋁業) last month.
“I see no basis in any of that speculation,” Australian Foreign Minister Stephen Smith told reporters in Perth in response to talk the move was related to iron ore or the Chinalco deal.
Smith also said he was very surprised by the detention and reasons for it and that the Australian government was still trying to seek access to Hu. He said there was the prospect Hu could be charged with criminal offenses under Chinese law.
Rio, which first confirmed the detentions a day ago, said it was aware of the allegation.
“We have been advised by the Australian government of this surprising allegation. We are not aware of any evidence that would support such an investigation,” a Rio spokeswoman said.
Rio said the Shanghai office where the detained staff worked was mainly a sales and marketing operation for the company, the world’s second-biggest iron ore producer, which is listed in London and Australia.
On June 5, Rio announced it had dumped plans for a US$19.5 billion investment from state-owned Chinese metals firm Chinalco and instead sealed an iron ore joint venture with rival BHP Billiton.
Several days later, Xinhua news agency slammed Rio’s “perfidy” for scrapping the deal.
The intrigue over the four Rio Tinto employees threatened to eclipse the potentially bigger news Chinese steel mills had finally backed down on iron ore prices, agreeing to the same 33 percent price cut that Japanese and other mills accepted, according to a report in the Shanghai-based China Business News.
The deal, which could not be immediately confirmed, would conclude some nine months of tense negotiations that threatened to scupper the decades-old annual pricing ritual and would frustrate China’s efforts to wield more clout on global commodity markets, even where it is the dominant buyer, such as iron ore.
The paper, which reported the deal citing sources it didn’t name, said Chinese mills had agreed to the new prices for only six months from April instead of the usual 12, and had already begun negotiating on the next phase.
It said China had agreed to pay US$0.97 per dry metric tonne unit (dmtu) for Pilbara blend fines and US$1.12 per dmtu for Pilbara Blend lump for April through October.
But the paper said its sources could not say which of the big iron ore suppliers had signed the deal.
Several Chinese steel officials contacted yesterday said they were unaware of a settlement.
The head of the market research department at the China Iron and Steel Association declined to comment, although two sources not directly involved in the discussions said they had heard of a possible agreement, but could not confirm it.