MTN Group Ltd, Africa’s largest mobile-phone company, may merge with Reliance Communications Ltd, India’s second-biggest, to offer wireless services to 1.7 billion people after talks with Bharti Airtel Ltd collapsed.
MTN, based in Johannesburg, and Mumbai-based Reliance are in exclusive talks for as long as 45 days to combine their businesses, they said in separate statements yesterday. There is no certainty on the completion or the timing of any agreement, they said, without providing details.
Any agreement will depend on whether Reliance chairman Anil Ambani and MTN chief executive Phutuma Nhleko can agree on control of an operator with a combined market value of more than US$65 billion stretching from the Cape of Good Hope to the Himalayas. Bharti ended talks with MTN after failing to overcome differences over ownership and management.
“Reliance may be one company that could possibly do it,” Apurva Shah, head of research at Prabhudas Lilladher Pvt in Mumbai, said by telephone after Bharti’s announcement on May 24.
“If it was tough for Bharti, it will be tough for other Indian companies,” Shah said.
Reliance declined as much as 4 percent in Mumbai trading, valuing it at US$27 billion, while Bharti, India’s biggest mobile- phone company, gained 4.3 percent, giving it a market value of US$38 billion.
MTN slumped as much as 6.4 percent, paring its value to US$36 billion.
Any investment by Ambani will be in addition to the US$6.5 billion he is spending this year to build a second mobile phone network and increase coverage. India added a record 10.2 million subscribers in March and surpassed the US last month as the world’s largest mobile phone market after China.
Reliance began talks to buy a majority stake in MTN, the Business Standard reported on its Web site on May 24, citing people it didn’t identify.
Gaurav Wahi, a Reliance Communications spokesman, declined to specify which company would control the combined entity in a telephone interview from Mumbai yesterday.
Bharti said it ended the talks after MTN presented a new structure in which Bharti Airtel would become a subsidiary of the South African firm. Billionaire chairman Sunil Mittal and Singapore Telecommunications Ltd would have had to exchange their majority stake in Bharti Airtel for a controlling stake in MTN, according to the structure, Bharti said.
The end of the talks is “positive for Bharti’s share price as this lifts the cloud of uncertainty that was hanging over it,” Shah said.
“From a long-term perspective, it is negative” because Bharti would have benefited from the expansion in its operations, he said.
Nhleko has driven MTN’s expansion north from South Africa into 21 countries throughout the continent and the Middle East, covering a region with a combined population of more than 500 million people.
NINE NEW CASES: The CECC said two locally transmitted cases of COVID-19, and seven imported ones – five women and two men – brought the nation’s total to 348 People who refuse to wear a mask on public transportation after being asked to do so would face a NT$3,000 to NT$15,000 fine, effective immediately, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said yesterday after announcing nine additional COVID-19 cases. In a move to curtail the spread of the novel coronavirus, the Ministry of Transportation and Communications on Tuesday announced that people must wear masks on trains and intercity buses, while Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, on Tuesday said that people should wear them when they cannot maintain a social distance of 1.5m indoors. Chen yesterday
TRILLION PROPOSED: The premier said the goal was to keep ‘businesses solvent, the unemployment rate down, transportation and logistics going, and cash flowing’ The Executive Yuan yesterday announced an expanded economic stimulus package totaling NT$1.05 trillion (US$34.64 billion), including NT$81.6 billion in subsidies for employers to prevent a spike in unemployment. The increased budget comprises a special budget of NT$210 billion, up from the NT$60 billion already passed by the Legislative Yuan; NT$140 billion — up from NT$40 billion — to be appropriated from the general budget; and NT$700 billion in loans to industries affected by the COVID-19 pandemic, Directorate-General of Budget, Accounting and Statistics Minister Chu Tzer-ming (朱澤民) told a news conference at the Executive Yuan in Taipei. The NT$150 billion increase in the
TARGETED TEXTS: The center’s head said that visitor numbers at scenic spots were greater than expected and people did not do a very good job of social distancing The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday sent two warning text messages to urge people to practice social distancing, especially by avoiding crowded scenic areas. The two messages were sent at 11:55am on the third day of the four-day Tomb Sweeping Day weekend, reminding people about social distancing and hand hygiene to help prevent COVID-19 infection. “When visiting crowded scenic spots during the Tomb Sweeping Day weekend, please keep a social distance of at least 1.5m indoors and 1m outdoors, wear a mask and wash your hands frequently. Please wear a mask and seek immediate medical attention if you are feeling ill
The US National Security Council yesterday thanked Taiwan for its support amid the COVID-19 pandemic following President Tsai Ing-wen’s (蔡英文) announcement that Taiwan would donate 10 million masks to hard-hit countries. The donation includes 2 million masks to the US on top of the weekly 100,000 announced previously; 7 million to Europe; and 1 million to diplomatic allies, on top of 1 million Taiwan procured for allies from their neighboring countries, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said on Wednesday. After European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen expressed appreciation for the donations, the US body yesterday wrote its thanks on Twitter. “We