Prosecutors demanded a six-year prison term for Hyundai Motor Co chairman Chung Mong-koo yesterday in his appeal trial against a three-year sentence handed down in February for embezzlement.
A team of three prosecutors arguing the case said that Chung's crimes have dealt a serious blow not only to his company, but also to South Korea's image overseas.
"The sentence is too light," one of them told the court.
In February, Chung, 69, was sentenced to three years in jail for breach of trust and embezzling the equivalent of more than US$100 million in company funds to set up a slush fund.
Chung's lawyers want a suspended sentence, meaning the executive would not serve prison time unless involved in other crimes. He is free on bail and runs the world's sixth-largest carmaker, sometimes traveling overseas.
Chung has a reputation for hands-on management and key decisions were delayed when he was jailed for two months following his arrest in April last year.
His lawyers have called for leniency, citing the contributions Chung has made to the South Korean economy.
Yesterday, they said that Hyundai was at a crucial stage and cannot afford to lose Chung's leadership as it expands aggressively overseas.
Chung himself pleaded for the chance to avoid jail and make amends.
"I ask for an opportunity for me to contribute to the company and the national economy one last time," he told the court.
Chung, one of the country's richest men, has repeatedly expressed regret and vowed to donate 1 trillion won (US$1.1 billion) worth of personal assets to society.
"I'm very sorry to have created big problems with this case and raising concerns of the people," Chung told the court yesterday.
Three other Hyundai officials facing similar charges were also convicted in February, but all were given suspended sentences.
Appeal courts have in the past granted more lenient sentences than lower court rulings in cases involving business tycoons.
In 2005, Chey Tae-won, CEO and chairman of South Korea's oil refiner, SK Corp, saw his three-year prison term for accounting irregularities suspended by the Seoul High Court.
The court said a ruling in Chung's appeal would be handed down on July 10.
FORCED LABOR: Customs officials have seized a 11.8 tonne shipment of products made from human hair on suspicion they were produced by people facing human rights abuses Federal authorities in New York City on Wednesday seized a shipment of weaves and other beauty accessories suspected to be made out of human hair taken from people locked inside a Chinese internment camp. US Customs and Border Protection (CPB) officials said that 11.8 tonnes of hair products worth an estimated US$800,000 were in the shipment. “The production of these goods constitutes a very serious human rights violation, and the detention order is intended to send a clear and direct message to all entities seeking to do business with the United States that illicit and inhumane practices will not be tolerated in
HONG KONG SECURITY: The president blasted regulations requiring Taiwanese agents or political organizations to provide information on their Hong Kong-related activities President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) yesterday warned of countermeasures should controversial Chinese national security legislation imposed on Hong Kong undermine or harm Taiwanese interests. Article 43 of the legislation empowers the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region to serve written notices to Taiwanese political organizations or individual agents to furnish information on their Hong Kong-related activities, including their personal particulars, finances, assets, expenditure and capital in the territory. Failure to comply or providing false or incomplete information can result in a fine of HK$100,000 (US$12,903) or imprisonment of six months or two years respectively. Tsai said that Taiwan would keep a close watch on how
JUST QUESTIONS: Expelled reporter Ai Kezhu said that every member of Southeast Television had complied with the law and had not appeared on any talk shows Two Chinese reporters yesterday left Taiwan after the government revoked their accreditation and ordered them to leave amid a probe into allegations that several Chinese media outlets have set up studios and produced political talk shows in Taiwan. The two reporters — Ai Kezhu (艾珂竹) and Lu Qiang (盧薔) — worked for Fujian Province-based Southeast Television and arrived in Taiwan in December last year. The Mainland Affairs Council has launched an investigation after local media reported that Chinese broadcasters — including China Central Television, Southeast Television and FJTV — had set up studios in Taipei and produced political talk shows. Council Deputy Minister
PROBE LAUNCHED: An officer who served as a supervisor in the drill died in an apparent suicide after the accident, which was caused by unexpected waves Two marines who were on Friday injured in a military exercise in the waters off Kaohsiung passed away yesterday, Navy Command said. The marines — surnamed Tsai (蔡), 26, and a sergeant surnamed Chen (陳), 36 — were in a seven-member Marine Corps team that encountered rough seas during a simulated response to enemy forces landing on Taiwan. Their rubber craft overturned in waters off Taoziyuan (桃子園) beach in Zuoying District (左營), injuring four of the marines. They were rushed to hospital, where three of them — Tsai, Chen and a 34-year-old sergeant — were taken to an intensive care unit