Several Australian bushfires have combined to form a “mega fire” that is burning out of control across a swathe of land north of Sydney, authorities said on Friday, warning they cannot contain the blaze.
New South Wales Rural Fire Service deputy commissioner Rob Rogers said: “There are probably more than eight fires in all” that have merged to form what has been dubbed a “mega fire” in an area of national park forest.
The blaze was burning across 300,000 hectares — an area roughly 60km across — within an hour’s drive of Australia’s largest city, which was again subsumed in a soup of toxic smoke.
“There is just fire that whole way,” said Rogers, who added that firefighters could do little more than get any residents out, protect property and hope for an end to fire-friendly dry and windy conditions.
We “cannot stop these fires, they will just keep burning until conditions ease, and then we’ll try to do what we can to contain them,” he said.
“The best thing we can do is try to protect property and people as much as we can,” he added.
Prolonged drought has left much of eastern Australia tinder-dry and spot fires have raged every day for the past three months.
Bushfires are common in Australia, but scientists say that this year’s season has come earlier and with more intensity due to a prolonged drought and climatic conditions fueled by global warming.
Dramatic footage of firefighters running from a wall of fire ripping through the tree canopy above them was captured overnight in Orangeville, less than 100km west of Sydney.
The local fire and rescue team that shot the images said no one was injured and the vehicles surrounded by the swirling embers also survived the blaze.
“The video was put up to demonstrate why you need to listen to the fire advisory system,” the team from Ingleburn fire station said on Facebook.
“If your property is not prepared for the bushfire season and your [sic] not sure you are able or capable of defending your property if a fire approaches you need to leave straight away,” they said.
At a wildlife park in the area, 300 animals were evacuated.
Walkabout Wildlife Park said it had shipped out lizards, dingoes, peacocks and marsupials, as firefighters battled more than 100 fires up and down the eastern seaboard.
“This fire has been doing some crazy things, so we have to be prepared,” general manager Tassin Barnard said.
New South Wales rural fire chief Shane Fitzsimmons said some US and Canadian firefighters had arrived to help out.
The specialists are expected to supervise waterbombing planes and heavy equipment used in creating fire containment lines.
“We are not only appreciative of their presence here today, but of their sacrifice,” said Fitzsimmons, who has become a fixture on Australian television screens for weeks, updating the public on blazes in towns, national parks and backwaters.
“They are volunteering to sacrifice time from loved ones, from families, to give up that special time of the year around Christmas and New Year’s to come down here and lend us a hand,” he said.
More than 600 homes have been destroyed and six people have died since the crisis began in September.
That is many fewer than Australia’s deadliest recent fire season in 2009, when almost 200 people died, but this year’s toll so far belies the scale of devastation.
An estimated 2 million hectares have burned — the size of some small countries — across a region spanning hundreds of kilometers.
The fires have taken a toll in Sydney and other major cities, which have been blanketed in toxic smoke for weeks and occasionally sprinkled with snow-like embers.
Fitzsimmons said he could not “overstate the effect that this profound drought is having” as he warned of a long, painful summer ahead.
“There is an absolute lack of moisture in the soil, a lack of moisture in the vegetation ... you are seeing fires started very easily and they are spreading extremely quickly, and they are burning ridiculously intensely,” he said.
‘CONFESSED’: A court in Beijing said that former CCP member Ren Zhiqiang abused his power at a state firm and embezzled almost US$7.14 million of public funds A Chinese tycoon who called Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) a clown and criticized his handling of the COVID-19 pandemic was yesterday jailed for 18 years for corruption, bribery and embezzlement of public funds. Ren Zhiqiang (任志強) — once among the Chinese Communist Party’s (CCP) inner circle — disappeared from the public eye in March, shortly after penning an essay that lambasted Xi’s pandemic response. His outspokenness had earned the former chairman of state-owned property developer Huayuan Group the nickname “Big Cannon.” Yesterday’s verdict said that Ren embezzled almost 50 million yuan (US$7.4 million) of public funds and accepted bribes worth 1.25 million
OFF BORDER ISLAND: The fisheries official disappeared from a patrol vessel wearing a life jacket and leaving behind his shoes, indicating an intentional move, Seoul said North Korean soldiers shot dead a suspected South Korean defector at sea and burned his body as a COVID-19 precaution after he was interrogated in the water over several hours, Seoul military officials said yesterday. It is the first killing of a South Korean citizen by North Korean forces for a decade, and comes with Pyongyang at high alert over the COVID-19 pandemic and inter-Korean relations at a standstill. The fisheries official disappeared from a patrol vessel near the western border island of Yeonpyeong on Monday, the official said. More than 24 hours later, North Korean forces located him in their waters and
The scarcity of commercial flights landing at Sydney Airport has been a disaster for airlines and workers, but for hobby pilots the COVID-19 pandemic has provided the opportunity of a lifetime. The quieter-than-usual runways mean that private pilots have been given the chance to land at the international airport for the first time. When Sydney Flight College club captain Tim Lindley put out a call, he received an overwhelming response. He eventually organized for 14 light aircraft to fly into Sydney airport on Sunday. “For a lot of the pilots involved, including myself, it was a childhood dream to land in a big
China on Thursday lashed out at the US at a high-level UN meeting over its criticism on the COVID-19 pandemic, with its envoy declaring, “Enough is enough.” Two days after US President Donald Trump used his annual address to the General Assembly to attack China’s record, US Ambassador to the UN Kelly Craft, also took an outraged tone — after which her Chinese counterpart showed palpable anger. “I must say, enough is enough. You have created enough troubles for the world already,” Chinese Ambassador to the UN Zhang Jun (張軍) told a Security Council meeting on global governance attended through videoconference