Philippine lawmakers yesterday rejected Perfecto Yasay’s appointment as secretary of foreign affairs, eight months after he was appointed by Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte, citing “compelling issues” surrounding his qualifications.
Yasay was removed from the post after a unanimous vote by a plenary session of the Philippine Congress, which came hours after a confirmation hearing in which he was grilled about his citizenship at the time he took the job.
The full details of what was behind the 15-member panel’s decision to effectively sack Yasay were not immediately clear. Yasay is a member of Duterte’s inner circle.
Numerous allegations have been made against Yasay, a US-educated lawyer, including that he illegally held US citizenship when he was appointed.
Lawmakers in his earlier hearing had pointed to inconsistencies in statements he made before the congressional committee and in media interviews this week about whether he had been a US citizen, had held a US passport and the status of applications he had previously made to be naturalized.
Yasay was not present for the decision and an aide who answered his cellphone said there would be no immediate statement from the former secretary.
Philippine Senator Panfilo Lacson said the Philippine Commission on Appointments was unhappy with Yasay’s conflicting comments under oath and their decision was final.
“We all know how close attorney Yasay is to the president. It was the view ... that he was not telling the truth, he was not forthright in the question-and-answer portion of the hearings,” Lacson told reporters.
Philippine Cabinet ministers must undergo a confirmation hearing, but these often take place long after they begin work.
Lacson said the decision proved that the commission was not just a rubber stamp.
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting
CHANGING PERCEPTIONS: In its tender, the Hong Kong administration said that it had failed to ‘mobilise the community to support law enforcement actions’ The Hong Kong government has agreed to pay millions of pounds to a discreet London-based PR firm to counter coverage of the territory in the international media. Consulum, which has also represented Saudi Arabian Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, was on Monday awarded the ￡5 million (US$6.2 million) one-year contract to improve Hong Kong’s reputation — the same day that China passed national security legislation targeting the territory. The Mayfair-based PR business was founded by Tim Ryan and Matthew Gunther Bushell, two former employees of Bell Pottinger, an agency that has been criticized for representing some governments and leaders that other businesses