An “enraged” Australian man telephoned police to complain that his father had burned his prized cannabis plants, authorities said yesterday.
Northern Territory Police said the man called them on Tuesday evening from Humpty Doo, about 40km from Darwin, to report he had a fight with his father.
“As retribution his father burned the son’s prized cannabis plants in a bonfire on the property,” Police Duty Superintendent Louise Jorgensen said in a Facebook post. “The son felt this was wrong and reported the matter to police. Officers attended and confirmed that was indeed the case.”
Police did not give the ages of the men involved in the incident, but said the son had been in conflict with his father ever since he moved back to the Northern Territory a short while ago.
“Things came to a head yesterday evening and that’s when the contraband was destroyed,” Jorgensen said. “The son was indignant and enraged. It was questioned whether he was aware that possession of cannabis was unlawful and he could be liable to prosecution for the same. He seemed to believe that the destruction of the same was far worse than the possession in the first instance.”
Police said no charges had been laid against the men.
“The evidence has been destroyed,” Jorgensen said, confirming that the son was now living elsewhere.
The post sparked lively comments on Facebook, with one person suggesting the police should have taken beers and munchies to the bonfire.
“What a twit!” another user said. “He should be arrested for stupidity.”
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting
CHANGING PERCEPTIONS: In its tender, the Hong Kong administration said that it had failed to ‘mobilise the community to support law enforcement actions’ The Hong Kong government has agreed to pay millions of pounds to a discreet London-based PR firm to counter coverage of the territory in the international media. Consulum, which has also represented Saudi Arabian Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, was on Monday awarded the ￡5 million (US$6.2 million) one-year contract to improve Hong Kong’s reputation — the same day that China passed national security legislation targeting the territory. The Mayfair-based PR business was founded by Tim Ryan and Matthew Gunther Bushell, two former employees of Bell Pottinger, an agency that has been criticized for representing some governments and leaders that other businesses