Hannibal Muammar Qaddafi, the high-living businessman son of the late Libyan leader Muammar Qaddafi, was freed late on Friday, several hours after he was kidnapped in Lebanon by an unknown armed group, security sources said.
Lebanese police freed Hannibal Muammar and were set to question him, one source said, without specifying where the businessman had been released.
A second security source said that Hannibal Muammar had been “kidnapped by an armed group in the region of Bekaa while he was traveling from Syria, before being released on Friday night in the same region.”
Bekaa is an eastern stronghold of Lebanese Shiite movement Hezbollah.
Lebanon’s National News Agency said Hannibal’s kidnappers had demanded “information on Musa al-Sadr,” a Lebanese Shiite leader who went missing in 1978.
Beirut blamed the disappearance on the longtime Libyan strongman, and the Qaddafi family was branded persona non grata by Lebanon, especially among members of the Shiite Muslim community.
A former Libyan envoy to the Arab League, Abdel Moneim al-Honi, told the pan-Arab newspaper al-Hayat in 2011 that al-Sadr had been ordered killed during a visit to Libya and was buried in the southern region of Sabha.
Late on Friday, the Lebanese private television channel al-Jadid broadcast a video purportedly showing Hannibal Muammar.
In the video he appears to have been beaten up and has two black eyes, but he says that he is “well” and calls on “all those who have evidence about al-Sadr to present it without delay.”
It was not clear when or where the video was filmed.
The lavish lifestyles of Qaddafi’s family and entourage helped fuel the anger in Libya that sparked the protests that eventually led to the strongman’s ouster and killing in 2011.
Hannibal, born in 1975, was among a group of family members — including Qaddafi’s wife Safia Farkash, son Mohammed and daughter Ayesha — who escaped to neighboring Algeria after the fall of Tripoli.
In 2008, Hannibal Muammar and his wife, the Lebanese model Aline Skaf, sparked a diplomatic incident with Switzerland when they were arrested in a luxury Geneva hotel for assaulting two former servants.
The Libyan regime demanded that no charges be brought and an apology be made over the allegations that Hannibal Muammar had assaulted the pair, a Tunisian and a Moroccan. The case was dropped.
In 2011, as Muammar Qaddafi was battling the uprising against him, a private jet carrying Skaf was refused permission to land at Beirut’s airport.
An official said at the time that acting Lebanese transport minister Ghazi Aridi had asked for a detailed passenger manifest and that his request was rejected by the Libyans.
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting
CHANGING PERCEPTIONS: In its tender, the Hong Kong administration said that it had failed to ‘mobilise the community to support law enforcement actions’ The Hong Kong government has agreed to pay millions of pounds to a discreet London-based PR firm to counter coverage of the territory in the international media. Consulum, which has also represented Saudi Arabian Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, was on Monday awarded the ￡5 million (US$6.2 million) one-year contract to improve Hong Kong’s reputation — the same day that China passed national security legislation targeting the territory. The Mayfair-based PR business was founded by Tim Ryan and Matthew Gunther Bushell, two former employees of Bell Pottinger, an agency that has been criticized for representing some governments and leaders that other businesses