The Shanghai New Year’s Eve crush that left 36 dead showed “critical neglect,” the mayor of the Chinese commercial hub said yesterday, while insisting that those responsible had been held accountable.
New Year revelers, many of them young women, were trampled after flocking to the historic waterfront area, known as the Bund, because of severe overcrowding and the lack of adequate safety measures.
“The New Year’s Eve incident has exposed critical neglect and hazards in Shanghai’s safety infrastructure,” Shanghai Mayor Yang Xiong (楊雄) told the annual meeting of the Shanghai People’s Congress, the local legislature.
“Those responsible have been held accountable to the fullest extent of the law,” he said, reading from a prepared text. “We share people’s grief and acknowledge guilt and responsibility.”
The city on Wednesday said it had punished 11 officials, removing four from their posts, most from Huangpu district where the accident took place. There has been no announcement yet of intention to seek criminal punishment through the courts.
Relatives of the dead have called for higher, city-level officials to take the blame amid speculation the mayor himself could be implicated.
Public outrage has risen after media reports, which were later confirmed, said that several Huangpu district officials went for a free meal at a high-class restaurant shortly before the stampede and near where it took place.
The mayor defended an official investigative report on the tragedy which described the stampede as an “incident,” a downgrading which implies milder punishment and less compensation for those affected than classification as an “accident.”
“We have produced an objective and impartial report according to the law,” he said.
The families of the deceased will each receive 800,000 yuan (US$128,329), which they have criticized as being too low while calling for a greater accounting by the government instead of just compensation.
Yang also outlined major objectives for the coming year.
Shanghai will expand some practices from its free-trade zone to the rest of the city, he said, following widespread disappointment among foreign companies over the pace of reforms in China’s first free-trade area.
The city will also prepare for a new Disney theme park, including finishing a metro line linking to it, Yang said. A state media report last month said that the park is struggling to meet its deadline this year for opening.
FOX HUNT: To suppress dissent, Chinese living abroad that Xi Jinping sees as threats are told to either return to China or commit suicide, Christopher Wray said Chinese agents have been pursuing hundreds of Chinese nationals living in the US in an effort to force their return, as part of a global campaign against the country’s diaspora, known as Operation Fox Hunt, FBI Director Christopher Wray said on Tuesday. In a speech about the security threat posed by China, during which he said Beijing’s counterintelligence work was the “greatest long-term threat to our nation’s information and intellectual property, and to our economic vitality,” Wray gave the example of one Fox Hunt target who was given a choice of going back to China or killing themselves. Fox Hunt was launched
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
INTERNET CURBS: People are rushing to erase their digital footprints after police given powers over online activity, although it might take years for the full effect to be felt At midnight on Tuesday, the Great Firewall of China, the vast apparatus that limits the country’s Internet, appeared to descend on Hong Kong. Unveiling expanded police powers as part of contentious new national security legislation, the Hong Kong government enabled police to censor online speech, and force Internet service providers to hand over user information and shut down platforms. Many residents, already anxious since the legislation took effect last week, rushed to erase their digital footprint of any signs of dissent or support for the past year of protests. Hong Kong Legislator Charles Mok (莫乃光), a pro-democracy member of the Legislative
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting