Jaycee Chan (房祖名), the son of kung fu movie star Jackie Chan (成龍), is scheduled to stand trial on Friday on a drugs charge, media reported yesterday, the latest in a series of minor celebrities accused of narcotics offences.
The microblog post from the semi-official newspaper Legal Evening News said the younger Chan, a 32-year-old actor and singer, would be tried in Eastern District Court in Beijing in a case that would be closely watched by Chinese.
Jaycee Chan was arrested with Taiwanese actor Kai Ko (柯震東) on Aug. 18 last year.
He was formally charged last month with “the crime of sheltering others to take drugs” after testing positive for marijuana, with police saying they found 100g of the drug at his home.
Calls to the Eastern District Court went unanswered.
Jaycee Chan is among a string of other mostly “B-list” celebrities detained last year by Chinese authorities on drug-related charges that have been publicized widely in both state and social media. They have included movie and television stars, film directors and a prominent screenwriter.
Their detentions have come amid a campaign by China’s Ministry of Public Security to get tough on drugs, gambling and prostitution.
It is highly likely that Jaycee Chan is set to be found guilty as convictions are nearly certain in Chinese courts, which are controlled by the ruling Chinese Communist Party.
Illegal drugs, especially synthetic substances, such as methamphetamine, ketamine and ecstasy, have grown in popularity in China in tandem with the rise of a new urban class with greater disposable income.
Last month, state media reported that Jackie Chan felt ashamed of his son’s drug abuse and hopes that one day he would speak out about the dangers of taking drugs.
The older Chan had served as a goodwill spokesman for the China National Anti-Drug Committee in 2009, promoting anti-drug education.
EVOLVING SITUATION: Of the latest cases, 23 percent were found to be asymptomatic, but the coronavirus strain in Da Nang is more contagious, authorities said A COVID-19 outbreak that began in the Vietnamese city of Da Nang more than a week ago has spread to at least four city factories with a combined workforce of about 3,700, state media reported yesterday. Four cases were found at the plants in different industrial parks in the central city that collectively employ 77,000 people, the Lao Dong newspaper said. Vietnam, praised widely for its decisive measures to combat the novel coronavirus since it first appeared in late January, is battling new clusters of infection having gone for more than three months without detecting any domestic transmissions. Authorities yesterday reported one new
‘COVIDIOTS’: Politicians condemned the protest that came amid surging infections in the country, while a marcher said government-induced fear weakened the body Loudly chanting their opposition to masks and vaccines, thousands of people on Saturday gathered in Berlin to protest against COVID-19 restrictions before being dispersed by police. Police put turnout at about 20,000 — well below the 500,000 organizers had announced as they urged a “day of freedom” from months of virus curbs. Despite Germany’s comparatively low toll, authorities are concerned at a rise in infections over the past few weeks and politicians took to social media to criticize the rally as irresponsible. “We are the second wave,” shouted the crowd, a mixture of hard left and right and conspiracy theorists, as they converged
A cat that went missing on a family holiday on the shores of Loch Lomond, Scotland, has been identified 12 years later. Tortoiseshell-and-white Georgie spent October half term in 2008 with her owners at the Rowardennan campsite, but vanished as they were due to return home to Greater Manchester, England. After a search of the site the Davies family departed without Georgie, hoping the three-year-old microchipped feline would be located by someone. Over the intervening 12 years, she remained close to the Queen Elizabeth Forest Park site, being fed and cared for by campsite staff and holidaymakers. After the COVID-19 pandemic hit and lockdown
Three Micronesian sailors stranded on a remote Pacific island have been found alive and well after a rescue team spotted their giant SOS message written into the sand on a beach. Australian and US military aircraft found the three men on tiny Pikelot island, nearly 200km west of where they had set off. Rescuers said that the men were “in good condition” with no significant injuries. The men had been missing for three days after their 7m skiff ran out of fuel and strayed off course. Authorities in the US territory of Guam raised the alarm on Saturday after the men failed to complete