Beijing yesterday responded to US criticism of an artificial island project in the disputed South China Sea that could reportedly include an airstrip, with a top general defending it as “justifiable.”
People’s Liberation Army Major General Luo Yuan (羅援) told the state-run Global Times newspaper that Beijing was building infrastructure on the reef and the US should not interfere.
“The US is obviously biased, considering that the Philippines, Malaysia, Vietnam have already set up military facilities,” Luo was quoted as saying.
“China is likely to withstand the international pressure and continue the construction, since it is completely legitimate and justifiable,” he added.
A report last week by IHS Jane’s Defence Weekly revealed new details of a vast land reclamation project China is undertaking on Fiery Cross Reef (Yongshu Reef, 永暑礁), which is part of the Spratly Islands (Nansha Islands, 南沙群島), which are also claimed by Taiwan.
IHS Jane’s reported that the artificial island is 3km long and 200m to 300m wide, adding that it is one of several reclamation projects being pursued by China in the region, but apparently the first that could accommodate an airstrip.
A harbor has also been dug out on the east side of the reef that appears large enough for tankers and naval warships, it said.
Days after the report, the US called on China to halt the project and for other governments to cease similar efforts.
“We urge China to stop its land reclamation program, and engage in diplomatic initiatives to encourage all sides to restrain themselves in these sorts of activities,” US military spokesman Lieutenant Colonel Jeffrey Pool said.
However, the Global Times said yesterday that China was building on the reef “mainly to improve the living standards of the reef-stationed soldiers.”
The US, which is “not a claimant” in the South China Sea, has been acting “selfishly” in the region, the paper added in an opinion piece.
“China’s construction on the Yongshu Reef will not be affected by US words,” the Global Times said.
“The Yongshu Reef is becoming a big island, which shows China’s prominent construction capabilities,” it said.
FOX HUNT: To suppress dissent, Chinese living abroad that Xi Jinping sees as threats are told to either return to China or commit suicide, Christopher Wray said Chinese agents have been pursuing hundreds of Chinese nationals living in the US in an effort to force their return, as part of a global campaign against the country’s diaspora, known as Operation Fox Hunt, FBI Director Christopher Wray said on Tuesday. In a speech about the security threat posed by China, during which he said Beijing’s counterintelligence work was the “greatest long-term threat to our nation’s information and intellectual property, and to our economic vitality,” Wray gave the example of one Fox Hunt target who was given a choice of going back to China or killing themselves. Fox Hunt was launched
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
INTERNET CURBS: People are rushing to erase their digital footprints after police given powers over online activity, although it might take years for the full effect to be felt At midnight on Tuesday, the Great Firewall of China, the vast apparatus that limits the country’s Internet, appeared to descend on Hong Kong. Unveiling expanded police powers as part of contentious new national security legislation, the Hong Kong government enabled police to censor online speech, and force Internet service providers to hand over user information and shut down platforms. Many residents, already anxious since the legislation took effect last week, rushed to erase their digital footprint of any signs of dissent or support for the past year of protests. Hong Kong Legislator Charles Mok (莫乃光), a pro-democracy member of the Legislative
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting