The UN atomic watchdog said it needs 1 million euros (US$1.35 million) in extra funding to help pay for its monitoring of a four-month extension of an interim nuclear deal between Iran and six world powers.
The request was made in a note to member states of the UN International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) dated Thursday and seen by Reuters yesterday, six days after the extension of last year’s agreement was announced.
Iran and the six powers — the US, France, Germany, Russia, Britain and China — agreed to continue talking after they failed to meet the deadline on Sunday for an accord to end the dispute over Iran’s nuclear program.
The IAEA has a pivotal role in verifying that Iran is complying with the preliminary agreement, under which Tehran halted its most sensitive uranium enrichment in exchange for a limited easing of sanctions that are hurting its economy.
The short-term deal was designed to buy time for talks on a comprehensive agreement on the permissible scope of a nuclear program that Iran says is peaceful, but which the West fears may be aimed at developing its atomic weapons capability.
The IAEA saw its workload increase significantly under November’s preliminary accord, initially due to run for six months from Jan. 20, but now prolonged until Nov. 24.
Its inspectors accessed Iran’s uranium enrichment facilities of Natanz and Fordow daily, compared with about once a week before. The agency also provides monthly updates to member states on how Iran is implementing its commitments.
IAEA Director-General Yukiya Amano said in January the agency would nearly double the number of people it has working on Iran as a result of the November agreement. He then asked for about 5.5 million euros in extra voluntary contributions, money which diplomats later said it had obtained without problems in view of the deal’s political importance.
In the new note, the IAEA said it had received a request from the seven nations involved in the negotiations to “continue to undertake the necessary nuclear-related monitoring and verification activities in Iran” under the accord.
That would include monitoring of additional measures to be taken by Iran as part of the terms of the extension, such as its commitment to turn some of its higher-grade enriched uranium oxide into nuclear fuel for a Tehran research reactor.
“Continuation of the ... activities will require additional financial resources for the Agency,” the note said.
“Assuming that all contributing Member States agree to the continued use of their unspent contributions, an additional amount of 1 million euros would be required,” it said.
A coronavirus-free tropical island nestled in the northern Pacific might seem the perfect place to ride out a pandemic, but residents on Palau said that life right now is far from idyllic. The microstate of 18,000 people is among a dwindling number of places on Earth that still report zero cases of COVID-19 as figures mount daily elsewhere. The disparate group also includes Samoa, Turkmenistan, North Korea and bases on the frozen continent of Antarctica. A dot in the ocean hundreds of kilometers from its nearest neighbors, Palau is surrounded by the vast Pacific Ocean, which has acted as a buffer against the
Dutch scientists have found the coronavirus in a city’s wastewater before COVID-19 cases were reported, demonstrating a novel early warning system for the disease. SARS-CoV-2 — the virus that causes COVID-19 — is often excreted in an infected person’s stool. Although it is unlikely that sewage will become an important route of transmission, the pathogen’s increasing circulation in communities would increase the amount of it flowing into sewer systems, Gertjan Medema and colleagues at the KWR Water Research Institute in Nieuwegein said on Monday. They detected genetic material from the coronavirus at a wastewater treatment plant in Amersfoort on March 5, before
‘LIKE A CASSANDRA’: Chinese residents of Prato went into self-imposed lockdown and warned their Italian neighbors about what was coming, but were ignored In the storm of infection and death sweeping Italy, one big community stands out to health officials as remarkably unscathed — the 50,000 ethnic Chinese who live in the town of Prato. Two months ago, the country’s Chinese residents were the target of what Amnesty International described as shameful discrimination, the butt of insults and violent attacks by people who feared that they would spread the coronavirus through Italy. However, in the Tuscan town of Prato, home to Italy’s single biggest Chinese community, the opposite has been true. Once scapegoats, they are now held up by authorities as a model for early,
TRUE TOLL? Some Chinese are skeptical about official data, particularly given the overwhelmed medical system and initial attempts to cover up the outbreak The long lines and stacks of urns greeting family members of the dead at funeral homes in Wuhan, China, are spurring questions about the true scale of casualties at the epicenter of the COVID-19 outbreak, renewing pressure on a Chinese government struggling to control its containment narrative. The families of those who succumbed to the coronavirus in the city, where the disease first emerged, were allowed to pick up their cremated ashes at eight funeral homes last week. As they did, photographs circulated on Chinese social media of thousands of urns being ferried in. Outside one funeral home, trucks shipped in about 2,500