Mon, May 26, 2014 - Page 5 News List

Freed Bahraini activist greeted by supporters


Bahraini human rights activist Nabeel Rajab on Saturday carries the son of Abdul Aziz al-Abbar, a Bahraini man who died from his wounds on Feb. 23 after he was shot during clashes between police and protesters in Sanabis Village, Bahrain.

Photo: AFP

A prominent human rights activist in Bahrain was released from prison on Saturday after spending nearly two years behind bars.

Nabeel Rajab, who heads the Bahrain Center for Human Rights, was sentenced to three years in 2012 on charges of encouraging “illegal gatherings” tied to anti-government protests in the country. An appeals court later reduced his term by a year.

After his release from prison, Rajab was greeted by dozens of supporters and stopped to visit his mother’s grave before heading home.

The activist is a key icon for the protest movement against the Gulf Arab monarchy’s Sunni rulers. Since 2011, the country’s majority Shiites have been protesting, demanding greater rights and political freedoms.

A statement from the Bahrain Center for Human Rights said Rajab was imprisoned for “advocating peaceful demonstrations to defend the civil and human rights of all the citizens in the country.”

Rajab told reporters that he is happy to be out after more than 600 days in prison, and called for the release of all political prisoners.

He said stability can only be achieved “through respect for human rights.”

“After two years in prison, I see Bahrain’s political environment as more difficult and still without a roadmap for real reforms,” he said.

In the middle of 2012, Rajab was also sentenced to three months for his comments on Twitter about Bahrain’s prime minister. His conviction was overturned on appeal during his prison sentence for taking part in protests.

Also on Saturday, thousands of people marched in a funeral for 15-year-old Sayed Mohsen, who died during protests earlier in the week in Sitra, south Manama.

The procession turned violent when mourners clashed with Bahraini security forces nearby. Police fired tear gas to disperse the crowd.

Mohsen’s family and the country’s main opposition group, al-Wifaq, said the teenager died after being shot in the chest at close range with bird shot — a weapon commonly used by Bahraini police.

The Ministry of the Interior said that police were investigating the circumstances of the death.

The ministry said Bahraini police in Sitra reacted after being attacked with firebombs on Wednesday during a funeral procession of a man who had died earlier in a bomb blast.

“While the specific circumstances in which Sayed Mohsen was shot remain unclear, the use of force in policing public assemblies ... must conform to the requirements of necessity and proportionality; and firearms may only be used as a last resort,” Amnesty International said in a statement.

The rights group urged an independent and transparent inquiry into the teenager’s death.

This story has been viewed 1463 times.

Comments will be moderated. Remarks containing abusive and obscene language, personal attacks of any kind or promotion will be removed and the user banned.

TOP top