Bomb ‘selfie’ teen dies
A teenager seen posing for a group “selfie” in front of a bomb-laden car moments before it exploded in Beirut died of his wounds on Saturday. “The number of victims from the attack rose to seven after the death of young Mohammad al-Chaar this morning, succumbing to his injuries at the American Hospital in Beirut,” NNA news agency said. Following Friday’s bombing in the heart of Beirut, which targeted and killed Mohammad Chatah, an influential economist and former finance minister, photographers saw the 16-year-old lying on the pavement, his head bloodied, before he was taken to hospital with severe injuries. Chaar had been identified online as one of four youths seen posing in a group selfie posted on social media networks in front of the car that exploded moments later. The picture went viral on the Internet, and the confirmation of his death sparked an outpouring of tributes on social media Web sites.
Suicide bomber kills 18
A female suicide bomber blew herself up in the entrance hall of Volgograd Station yesterday, killing at least 18 people in the second deadly attack in the space of three days as the country prepares to host next year’s Winter Olympics. The state Investigative Committee said the bomber detonated her explosives in front of a metal detector just inside the main entrance of the train station. Footage on TV showed a massive orange fireball filling the hall and smoke billowing out through shattered windows. A Ministry of Health spokesman told Rossiya-24 television that as many as 50 people were wounded. If the explosion is found to have been another strike by Islamist militants, it will bolster fears of attacks as the country prepares to host the Olympics in the Black Sea resort city of Sochi in less than six weeks’ time.
Pickup hits truck, 18 dead
Police yesterday said an overcrowded pickup van with dozens of mourners has slammed into a truck on Java, killing 18 people and injuring 14 others. On Saturday, police officer Captain Mustofa said the pickup was carrying a group of 29 mourners from East Java’s Probolinggo, who were on their way to pay respects to their relative. He said the vehicle was moving uncontrollably and collided with a trailer truck. The occupants were thrown from the pickup and 15, including two children, died instantly. The others died in the hospital. Mustofa said the driver of the pickup was arrested for reckless driving.
Troops fire on protest
Troops opened fire on a protest against the army’s deadly shelling of a funeral tent erected by the Southern Movement, killing two people on Saturday, an activist said. Four demonstrators were also wounded when the troops opened fire outside the provincial governor’s office in Daleh, activist Majed Shuaibi said. Hundreds of residents joined the protest against Friday’s shelling of the funeral tent, which killed 19 people, four of them children, medical sources said. The Southern Movement — which is campaigning for autonomy or outright secession of the formerly independent south — had set up the tent for mourners paying their condolences after a man was killed in clashes with security forces in Daleh on Monday last week. Those clashes erupted when secessionists tried to storm the governor’s office to hoist the flag of the former South Yemen. The fighting left two policemen and a civilian dead.