Egypt’s military-installed rulers declared the Muslim Brotherhood of ousted president Mohamed Morsi a “terrorist” organization on Wednesday, signaling a wider crackdown after blaming it for a deadly police compound bombing claimed by a jihadist group.
A Muslim Brotherhood leader lambasted the decision and said the organization would keep up its protests across Egypt despite the unprecedented move against the 85-year-old group, the country’s oldest and largest Islamist movement.
The decision is likely to accelerate a crackdown on the Brotherhood that has killed more than 1,000 people, mostly Islamists, in street clashes and seen thousands imprisoned since Morsi’s overthrow by the military in July.
The decision lumps together al-Qaeda-inspired militants who have killed scores of police and soldiers with the more moderate Brotherhood, although authorities have provided no proof of any links between the two.
The announcement came the day after a suicide car bombing of a police headquarters in the Nile Delta killed 15 people and wounded more than 100. The attack was condemned by the Brotherhood — which renounced violence in the 1970s — and claimed by an al-Qaeda-inspired group based in the restive Sinai Peninsula.
However, the cabinet said “all of Egypt was horrified by the ugly crime committed by the Muslim Brotherhood on Tuesday morning, when it blew up the Daqhaleya police headquarters.”
“The government has decided to declare the Muslim Brotherhood movement a terrorist organization,” it said in a statement, referring to Egypt’s penal code. “Members who continue to belong to this group or organization following the release of this statement will be punished according to the law.”
The move caps a dramatic fall for the Brotherhood, which was Egypt’s best-organized opposition group during decades of dictatorship and won a string of polls after the 2011 overthrow of former president Hosni Mubarak, culminating in Morsi’s election last year.
The group became deeply unpopular during Morsi’s year in power, alienating the military, Christians and secular activists, who accused Morsi of mismanaging the economy and trying to erect a new Brotherhood-led tyranny. The military forced Morsi from power on July 3 amid massive demonstrations demanding his resignation, and he now stands accused of incitement to kill protesters and colluding with militants to carry out attacks.
One of the few senior leaders of the Brotherhood to have avoided prison said the Islamists would continue with their near-daily demonstrations, which frequently set off clashes with security forces.
“The protests will continue, certainly,” said Ibrahim Munir, a member of the group’s executive council who is in exile in London, denouncing the government’s latest move as “illegitimate.”
“This is an attempt to frame the Brotherhood,” he added.
Social solidarity minister Ahmed al-Borei said the government would ban all the Brotherhood’s activities, including “protests.”
The cabinet had come under increasing pressure to declare the Brotherhood a terrorist group following Tuesday’s bombing.
“Egypt enveloped in sadness ... and the government waffles,” read the front-page banner of the state-owned Al-Ahram newspaper on Wednesday.
Saudi Arabia, which strongly supported Morsi’s overthrow and pledged billions of US dollars to the military-installed government, condemned the “terrorist acts” and offered its “full support” in a palace statement carried by state news agency SPA.
An al-Qaeda-inspired group spearheading attacks in Sinai had earlier claimed responsibility for the suicide car bombing of the Mansoura police headquarters. Ansar Beit al-Maqdis has claimed several high-profile attacks since Morsi’s overthrow, including a September assassination attempt against the interior minister with a car bomb outside his home.
The Brotherhood has long been at odds with more radical groups inspired by al-Qaeda, which have criticized the movement for renouncing violence and embracing electoral politics, which they view as un-Islamic.
EVOLVING SITUATION: Of the latest cases, 23 percent were found to be asymptomatic, but the coronavirus strain in Da Nang is more contagious, authorities said A COVID-19 outbreak that began in the Vietnamese city of Da Nang more than a week ago has spread to at least four city factories with a combined workforce of about 3,700, state media reported yesterday. Four cases were found at the plants in different industrial parks in the central city that collectively employ 77,000 people, the Lao Dong newspaper said. Vietnam, praised widely for its decisive measures to combat the novel coronavirus since it first appeared in late January, is battling new clusters of infection having gone for more than three months without detecting any domestic transmissions. Authorities yesterday reported one new
‘COVIDIOTS’: Politicians condemned the protest that came amid surging infections in the country, while a marcher said government-induced fear weakened the body Loudly chanting their opposition to masks and vaccines, thousands of people on Saturday gathered in Berlin to protest against COVID-19 restrictions before being dispersed by police. Police put turnout at about 20,000 — well below the 500,000 organizers had announced as they urged a “day of freedom” from months of virus curbs. Despite Germany’s comparatively low toll, authorities are concerned at a rise in infections over the past few weeks and politicians took to social media to criticize the rally as irresponsible. “We are the second wave,” shouted the crowd, a mixture of hard left and right and conspiracy theorists, as they converged
A cat that went missing on a family holiday on the shores of Loch Lomond, Scotland, has been identified 12 years later. Tortoiseshell-and-white Georgie spent October half term in 2008 with her owners at the Rowardennan campsite, but vanished as they were due to return home to Greater Manchester, England. After a search of the site the Davies family departed without Georgie, hoping the three-year-old microchipped feline would be located by someone. Over the intervening 12 years, she remained close to the Queen Elizabeth Forest Park site, being fed and cared for by campsite staff and holidaymakers. After the COVID-19 pandemic hit and lockdown
Three Micronesian sailors stranded on a remote Pacific island have been found alive and well after a rescue team spotted their giant SOS message written into the sand on a beach. Australian and US military aircraft found the three men on tiny Pikelot island, nearly 200km west of where they had set off. Rescuers said that the men were “in good condition” with no significant injuries. The men had been missing for three days after their 7m skiff ran out of fuel and strayed off course. Authorities in the US territory of Guam raised the alarm on Saturday after the men failed to complete