Several people have died in gunfire in the capital of the Central African Republic, a senior aid worker said yesterday, ahead of a key UN vote due to authorize foreign troops to restore order.
“There are dead and wounded,” Sylvain Groulx, the head of Doctors Without Borders in the strife-torn country, told reporters, as his organization deployed a medical and surgical team to Bangui.
Heavy arms fire rocked several districts of the city from around 5:30am, while automatic weapons could be heard starting in the PK-12 area in the north, then spreading to other districts near the city center, reporters said.
The violence erupted as the UN Security Council prepared to vote on a resolution authorizing thousands of African and French troops to end anarchy in the former French colony, where massacres have led to warnings of mass sectarian clashes.
A senior officer in the African International Support Mission in the Central African Republic (MISCA) peacekeeping force said the fighting broke out after former rebels of Seleka (“alliance” in the Sango language) who ousted president Francois Bozize in March, saw their foes in “anti-balaka” (anti-machete) militias trying to infiltrate the Boy-Rabe district.
Groulx said people had been wounded both by bullets and machetes and he described some as “polytraumatized” in apparent reference to those injured as they fled their homes in panic.
However, he could give no casualty toll.
The shooting became markedly less intense as the morning wore on, but the sporadic explosions of shells could still be heard around 11:00am.
French troops based at the airport patrolled the streets as they habitually do. One such patrol, consisting of an armored vehicle and two lighter ones, drove through the city center, seen by a journalist.
Residents contacted in different parts of the city said that armed men were looting houses, without being able to give more details because they were holed up.
In the Boy-Rabe district, many terrified civilians sought refuge in a church.
FIRST MUSLIM PRESIDENT
Seleka forces who have been integrated into the army under Central African President Michel Djotodia, whom they brought to power as the first Muslim head of state, drove round the streets at high speed, brandishing their fists in a victory sign.
They came and went from a military camp near the presidential palace.
The anti-balaka militias first emerged in September in the northeast of the country in response to numerous atrocities by men of the Seleka, which Djotodia has officially dissolved.
Muslim and Christian communities that previously lived peaceably together have started fighting each other and tens of thousands of people have taken refuge in churches and mosques, fearing attacks, aid workers said.
Djotodia and his transitional government have so far failed to bring order to a deeply poor and unstable nation that has a history of coups, army mutinies and rebellions, where about 10 percent of the population of about 4.6 million have been displaced by violence.
Henry Tong (湯偉雄) and Elaine To (杜依蘭) were preparing to spend their first wedding anniversary in separate prison cells until their acquittal for rioting during Hong Kong’s pro-democracy protests. There were gasps and tears of relief in court on Friday last week as a judge declared prosecutors had failed to prove that the couple took part in clashes with police in July last year. The pair walked free in a ruling that has potential consequences for hundreds of other protesters facing similar charges. However, they have a long journey ahead as they try to rebuild their lives and business. “We have already been punished,”
WARNINGS OVER COMPLACENCY: The curves of new infections in numerous countries is climbing, while others see the the first new infections in months Spikes in COVID-19 infections in Asia have dispelled any notion that the region might be over the worst, with Australia and India yesterday reporting record daily infections, Vietnam fretting over a new surge and North Korea urging vigilance. Asian nations had largely prided themselves on rapidly containing initial outbreaks after the coronavirus emerged in central China late last year, but flare-ups this month have shown the danger of complacency. “We’ve got to be careful not to slip into some idea that there’s some golden immunity that Australia has in relation to this virus,” Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison told reporters. Australia recorded its
The Australian government yesterday said that it plans to give Google and Facebook three months to negotiate with media businesses fair pay for news content. In releasing a draft of a mandatory code of conduct, Canberra aims to succeed where other nations have failed in making tech firms pay for news siphoned from commercial media companies. Australian Treasurer Josh Frydenberg said that Google and Facebook would be the first platforms targeted by the proposed legislation, but others could follow. “It’s about a fair go for Australian news media businesses, it’s about ensuring that we have increased competition, increased consumer protection and a sustainable
BEIJING REACTS: China announced that Hong Kong’s extradition treaties with Canada, Australia and Britain would be suspended after those nations acted earlier New Zealand yesterday announced that it would suspend its extradition treaty with Hong Kong. The move came after China passed sweeping new security legislation for the territory. New Zealand is the final member of the “Five Eyes” intelligence-sharing alliance to take such action after the Australia, Britain, Canada and the US previously announced similar measures. New Zealand Minister of Foreign Affairs Winston Peters said that the new legislation goes against commitments China made to the international community. “New Zealand can no longer trust that Hong Kong’s criminal justice system is sufficiently independent from China,” Peters said. Moreover, Wellington would treat military and technology exports to