Sat, Oct 26, 2013 - Page 7 News List

World News Quick Take



Death follows Facebook spat

A 17-year-old has committed suicide after a row with her parents who told her she had to stop using Facebook, police said yesterday. College student Aishwarya Dahiwal was found hanging in her bedroom on Wednesday after an argument with her parents in Maharashtra State’s Parbhani city, an investigating officer said, declining to be named. “On Wednesday night, she had an argument with her parents who told her not to just use Facebook and her mobile all day for chatting,” the officer said. “They told her to focus on her studies. After the argument, she locked herself in her room and was found hanging later, with a suicide note nearby,” he said.


Dead mom cash shocker

An elderly woman lay dead for months in her home as her adult daughter, who apparently used air freshener to mask the smell, fraudulently accessed her bank accounts, police said yesterday. The body of the 83-year-old was found in the bedroom of her Sydney home a week ago, but a post-mortem suggested she had been dead for months. Her 48-year-old daughter, receptionist Melissa Peacock, who was believed to be her primary carer, was not at the premises. On Thursday she was discovered at a luxury hotel in Sydney and arrested, police said. “She was arrested and charged with failing to report a death and dishonestly obtaining financial advantage by deception,” they said in a statement. “Police will allege the woman had been fraudulently obtaining money from her deceased mother’s bank accounts on a number of occasions.” A court yesterday heard that Peacock told police her mother died on July 28 and that after finding the body she walked from the bedroom, shut the door and had not re-entered since, the Sydney Morning Herald reported. However, the court was told forensic evidence indicated attempts were made to keep the room clean after the woman’s death, including changing the sheets and using air freshener, the report said.


Irate patient kills doctor

A man unhappy with the results of an operation on his nose stabbed a doctor to death and wounded two others yesterday, state media reported, in at least the third such attack in a week in which China promised to improve hospital security. The 33-year-old man, surnamed Lian, carried out the attack at a hospital in Wenling City in Zhejiang Province, Xinhua news agency reported. Lian had gone to the ear, nose and throat department looking for the doctor who treated him, but he was not there. He pulled out a knife and stabbed the head of the department instead, Xinhua said. Lian also stabbed two other doctors before he was restrained. Earlier in the week, a man killed himself by jumping from a hospital building after stabbing a doctor six times in Liaoning Province after a disagreement over complications from surgery on his arm. Two doctors were also beaten up by angry family members of a patient who died in hospital in Guangdong Province.


Man shot while on toilet

A Norwegian hunter took aim at a moose, but missed and accidentally hit a man sitting on the toilet in a nearby cabin on Thursday, police said. The bullet whizzed past the animal, pierced the wooden wall behind it and struck the man, in his seventies, in the stomach, police told public broadcaster NRK. The victim was flown to hospital, but his injury was not life threatening, said Anders Stroemsaether, the policeman who led the investigation. The hunter was taken in for questioning in Hvaler district, about 120km southeast of Oslo, police said. The moose escaped unscathed.

This story has been viewed 1172 times.

Comments will be moderated. Remarks containing abusive and obscene language, personal attacks of any kind or promotion will be removed and the user banned.

TOP top