Britain’s child protection agency sounded the alarm on Friday over pedophiles’ use of blackmail to force their victims into handing over sexually explicit images, money or performing sex acts live online via webcam.
The Child Exploitation and Online Protection Center said that 184 children in the UK had been subjected to some form of online sexual blackmail over the past two years. The agency said that six shame-stricken children subsequently seriously harmed themselves or tried to take their own lives as a result. One committed suicide.
“These offenders are cowards,” the agency’s deputy chief executive Andy Baker said in a statement. “They hide behind a screen and in many cases make hollow threats which they know they will never act on because by sharing these images will only bring the police closer to them.”
An agency spokeswoman identified the suicide victim as 17-year-old Daniel Perry from Scotland, who killed himself in July after he was tricked into thinking he was chatting with a girl around his own age.
The BBC said that he took his own life after being warned that his video conversations would be circulated to his friends and family if he did not pay up.
The practice of using cameras — fastened to many children’s personal computer or integrated into their smartphones — to solicit abusive photos and video is not new, although the agency’s disclosure put a rare face to the abuse.
Online blackmail “is a continuation of what was already happening for a long time in the terrestrial world,” said Laura Huey, a cyberpolicing expert at the University of Western Ontario who was not involved with the agency’s research.
Huey said in an e-mail that she had recently been interviewing adult victims of sexual abuse — all of them predating the rise of the Internet — and said that in their experiences blackmail was a “recurring theme.”
Asked how realistic the agency’s figures were, she said “there’s no way of telling.”
“This is an especially dark area because sexual offenses go unreported because victims don’t report. They’re intimidated for a variety of reasons. They feel ashamed and scared, and — particularly with young children — they may not fully understand the nature of their exploitation,” she said.
A coronavirus-free tropical island nestled in the northern Pacific might seem the perfect place to ride out a pandemic, but residents on Palau said that life right now is far from idyllic. The microstate of 18,000 people is among a dwindling number of places on Earth that still report zero cases of COVID-19 as figures mount daily elsewhere. The disparate group also includes Samoa, Turkmenistan, North Korea and bases on the frozen continent of Antarctica. A dot in the ocean hundreds of kilometers from its nearest neighbors, Palau is surrounded by the vast Pacific Ocean, which has acted as a buffer against the
Dutch scientists have found the coronavirus in a city’s wastewater before COVID-19 cases were reported, demonstrating a novel early warning system for the disease. SARS-CoV-2 — the virus that causes COVID-19 — is often excreted in an infected person’s stool. Although it is unlikely that sewage will become an important route of transmission, the pathogen’s increasing circulation in communities would increase the amount of it flowing into sewer systems, Gertjan Medema and colleagues at the KWR Water Research Institute in Nieuwegein said on Monday. They detected genetic material from the coronavirus at a wastewater treatment plant in Amersfoort on March 5, before
TRUE TOLL? Some Chinese are skeptical about official data, particularly given the overwhelmed medical system and initial attempts to cover up the outbreak The long lines and stacks of urns greeting family members of the dead at funeral homes in Wuhan, China, are spurring questions about the true scale of casualties at the epicenter of the COVID-19 outbreak, renewing pressure on a Chinese government struggling to control its containment narrative. The families of those who succumbed to the coronavirus in the city, where the disease first emerged, were allowed to pick up their cremated ashes at eight funeral homes last week. As they did, photographs circulated on Chinese social media of thousands of urns being ferried in. Outside one funeral home, trucks shipped in about 2,500
‘LIKE A CASSANDRA’: Chinese residents of Prato went into self-imposed lockdown and warned their Italian neighbors about what was coming, but were ignored In the storm of infection and death sweeping Italy, one big community stands out to health officials as remarkably unscathed — the 50,000 ethnic Chinese who live in the town of Prato. Two months ago, the country’s Chinese residents were the target of what Amnesty International described as shameful discrimination, the butt of insults and violent attacks by people who feared that they would spread the coronavirus through Italy. However, in the Tuscan town of Prato, home to Italy’s single biggest Chinese community, the opposite has been true. Once scapegoats, they are now held up by authorities as a model for early,