Tue, Jun 25, 2013 - Page 7 News List

World News Quick Take



Man falls from balloon

An elderly man plunged to his death in a lake after falling out of a hot air balloon, police said yesterday. Takuo Hayasaka, 70, was thrown from the basket when the balloon suddenly lost altitude over Lake Yanaka on Sunday morning. Two other people aboard, a 46-year-old woman and a 68-year-old man, were uninjured. The survivors told police their balloon briefly touched the surface of the lake before regaining altitude. They said their companion had tipped out of the basket before it started ascending again, a police officer said. All three were licensed balloon pilots, but none was wearing a life jacket, Jiji Press reported. The man’s body was found in the lake five hours later. The cause of his death was not immediately known.


Fortress on UNESCO list

The remains of a fortress that once surrounded Kaesong, the ancient capital of the Koryo Dynasty, are among sites that made it onto UNESCO’s World Heritage list on Sunday. Pyongyang’s bid to have the sites added to the list was approved at a UNESCO meeting in Phnom Penh, Cambodia. Twelve sites in the North that were added include the ruins of the Manwoldae Palace; a 1,000-year-old academy that was the top school during that era; relics housed at a museum at the school; and the mausoleum of King Kongmin.


Fugitive caught after 15 years

A British man who killed his aunt by stabbing her 70 times and who has been on the run for 15 years after escaping from prison in England has been arrested, reports said yesterday. Simon Hennessey spent 20 years in jail for brutally killing his elderly aunt, but walked out of a low-security jail in December 1998. At the time, he was serving a life sentence for killing the woman in her home in Plymouth when he was 14. Queensland State police told the Sunshine Coast Daily that the 49-year-old was picked up by chance in the town of Tewantin and at first had given them a false name. They were stunned to discover their mystery prisoner was Hennessey. “We believe he has moved between Thailand, New Zealand and Australia. It looks like he has been coming and going from Australia since about 2003,” Detective Senior Sergeant Daren Edwards told the newspaper. Queensland police have now charged the 49-year-old with a string of 75 fraud charges, including two counts of falsely representing himself as someone else, 38 counts of obtaining the property of another and seven counts of forging documents.


Protesters detained

Police yesterday detained at least two dozen people protesting alleged election fraud as parliament convened for the first time since divisive polls last month. About 300 people, clad mostly in the black color of a post-election protest campaign, demonstrated on a road leading to parliament in Kuala Lumpur, calling for a reballoting. Police, backed up by a dozen riot officers armed with shields, batons and tear gas, moved in after several hours.


Airline restricts shark fins

National carrier Air Pacific announced yesterday it will no longer carry shark fins that come from unsustainable or unverified sources. The airline said it had carried out a month-long review of its freight policies and decided to only accept shark products from sustainable sources that did not involve threatened species.


Baby rescued from pipe

This story has been viewed 1482 times.

Comments will be moderated. Remarks containing abusive and obscene language, personal attacks of any kind or promotion will be removed and the user banned.

TOP top