Former CIA director David Petraeus apologized on Tuesday for the “mistake” that triggered his resignation last year, in his first public speech since quitting due to an extramarital affair.
Addressing a military audience in Los Angeles, the four-star general voiced regret for the “pain” caused by his relationship with his biographer, Paula Broadwell, pledging to try to “make amends to those I have hurt and let down.”
“I join you keenly aware that I am regarded in a different light now than I was a year ago,” Petraeus told more than 600 veterans and Reserve Officers’ Training Corps students hosted by the University of Southern California (USC).
“I am also keenly aware that the reason for my recent journey was my own doing,” said the former head of the CIA and top US general, who spearheaded the “surge” in Iraq.
“So please allow me to begin my remarks this evening by reiterating how deeply I regret — and apologize for — the circumstances that led me to my resignation from the CIA and caused such pain for my family, friends and supporters,” he said at the event held at a downtown Los Angeles hotel.
Petraeus, the US’ most celebrated military leader in a generation, stepped down on Nov. 9 as head of the CIA after admitting to an affair with Broadwell, a counter-terrorism expert and lieutenant-colonel.
The FBI stumbled upon the affair when Jill Kelley, a Florida socialite and friend of the Petraeus family, asked investigators to look into threatening e-mails that turned out to be from an apparently jealous Broadwell.
The probe that revealed Petraeus’ affair also uncovered potentially “inappropriate” e-mails between Kelley and the top commander in Afghanistan, General John Allen, although he was later cleared of any wrongdoing.
In the wake of the scandal, Petraeus has kept a low profile over the past five months.
He has received offers from the financial community and to give paid speeches, been asked to serve as a consultant to major companies and is exploring positions in academia, according to the New York Times.
In his speech on Tuesday, the ex-CIA chief — who was given a standing ovation at the start and end of his remarks — called for greater efforts to help returning veterans transition to civilian life.
Toward the end, he returned to his personal downfall, thanking those who had given encouragement to him and his family, saying: “This has obviously been a very difficult episode for us.”
“But perhaps my experience can be instructive to others who stumble or indeed fall as far as I did. One learns, after all, that life doesn’t stop with such a mistake. It can and must go on,” he said.
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
PLAYING THE VICTIM? A Chinese spokesman sent a statement to Australian media saying that Beijing had ‘irrefutable’ evidence of Canberra’s widescale espionage Australia yesterday unveiled the “largest-ever” boost in cybersecurity spending, days after Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison spoke out about a wave of state-sponsored attacks suspected to have been carried out by China. Morrison and government officials said the country would spend an additional A$1.35 billion (US$928 million) on cybersecurity, about a 10 percent hike, taking the budget for the next decade to A$15 billion. The largest chunk of the new money would help create 500 jobs within the Australian Signals Directorate, the government’s communications intelligence agency. Morrison on June 19 said that a “state-based actor” was targeting a host of
The Philippine army chief yesterday expressed outrage over the fatal police shooting of four soldiers, including two officers, and demanded justice, as both sides provided contrasting accounts of the killings. Philippine Secretary of the Interior and Local Government Eduardo Ano, a retired military chief of staff who now oversees the national police, ordered that the police involved in Monday’s violence in Jolo in Sulu Province be disarmed and restricted for investigation. Police said the soldiers were killed in a “misencounter” with a group of police officers. The army said that the two officers and two enlisted men were on a mission against