Sun, Feb 10, 2013 - Page 3 News List

Lunar New Year starting off lean around China

AP, BEIJING

Lunar New Year is traditionally a time for colorful and noisy displays of fireworks and generous-portioned banquets. This year, the festivities are likely to be a little more austere.

Authorities have asked the public to set off fewer fireworks in Beijing to reduce pollution, a new anti-extravagance drive has prompted government officials and state-owned companies to cancel their banquets at high-end hotels and a campaign against food waste is leading to half-portions in restaurants. Even ads for luxury goods were pulled ahead of yesterday’s opening of the seven-day holiday.

All in all, China’s Lunar New Year is shaping up to be a Leaner New Year.

Following a call by Chinese Communist Party (CCP) General Secretary and Vice President Xi Jinping (習近平) to oppose waste, a village just outside of Beijing has canceled its mass dumpling festival that has been taking place for the past 30 years, involves hundreds of people and draws television cameras.

“We planned to make about 50,000 dumplings and now the plan has been canceled,” said a woman surnamed Wang from the committee’s tourist office of Liuminying village. “The flour bought for the festival will be distributed to the villagers and we haven’t bought the meat yet. Villagers will make dumplings at home with their own families and they may feel like this is a new experience for them since they haven’t done it that way for such a long time.”

Xi recently called for people to be more frugal and oppose waste following a “Clear the Plate” campaign by netizens calling on restaurants to cut down food waste. His words sparked off an anti-food waste campaign in state media.

He had already launched a crackdown against government extravagance, aimed at cutting corruption by officials, which angers the general public and threatens the party’s hold on power.

Capsulizing the new mood, the Web site of the Global Times newspaper on Wednesday displayed a photograph of workers at a power supply company in Anhui Province writing “cut down waste” slogans on balloons.

The Beijing city government together with catering associations announced that the restaurant industry should reduce food waste. Ten companies with a total of 749 branches have responded with a plan to offer half-portions and encourage people to take leftovers, according to the Beijing News.

A lot of people are already asking for the half-portions, said a waitress at Xiabu Xiabu, one of the named chains, in a central Beijing office block.

Bearing the brunt of Xi’s austerity drive, government officials and state-owned companies are stopping their banquets this year, and luxury hotels are missing out on the business.

A lot of reservations are being cancelled, many of which were for government departments and state-owned companies, said a woman surnamed Zheng at the dining department of the Zhejiang Hotel in Hangzhou.

Hu Xiaonan, 24, who works for a public relations company, said having banquets over the New Year holiday is a must, but people should wrap up the leftovers.

“Most people are worried about losing face” — if they take the leftovers home people will think they are too concerned about money, Hu said.

Highlighting the dangers of over-indulging, the general manager of a state-owned financial investment company in Guangdong Province has been suspended following a banquet in which he and 16 others ran up a bill worth 37,517 yuan (US$6,000), according to Zhuhai city’s CCP. They drank 12 bottles of expensive wine and Zhou Shaoqiang tried to hide the extravagance by having the restaurant make out a receipt for about a tenth of the price.

This story has been viewed 1451 times.
TOP top