Former South African president Nelson Mandela underwent a successful procedure to remove gallstones on Saturday, a week after he was admitted to hospital for a lung infection, the office of the president said.
The 94-year-old was being treated at a private hospital in the capital Pretoria. Initial tests revealed he was suffering from a recurring lung infection.
“The medical team decided to attend to a lung infection before determining when to attend to the gallstones,” a statement from the presidency said.
The former president underwent a procedure via endoscopy to have the gallstones removed, the statement said.
“The procedure was successful and Madiba is recovering,” it added, using the clan name by which Mandela is affectionately known.
Mandela was previously hospitalized for two nights for an acute respiratory infection in January last year before being released for home-based care and intense medical monitoring.
Mandela has a long history of lung problems, dating back decades to when he contracted tuberculosis in prison.
The Nobel Peace Prize winner who led the country to democracy in 1994 was flown from his rural home village of Qunu to Pretoria on Dec. 8.
It was not clear when Mandela was moved to the private hospital from the One Military facility, the country’s top military healthcare center, where government officials initially said Mandela was being treated.
The Mediclinic Heart Hospital, where he is currently being cared for, bills itself as the first and “only hospital of its kind — a private, specialized heart hospital — in South Africa.”
A French hospital doctor said having gallstones removed could cause stress in older people and the recovery period depends on the patient’s background.
“Recovery can be long if the patient is taking medicine or has a complicated medical background,” said Frederic Aubrun, an anesthesia expert for elderly people.
“It can take only a few days if there aren’t complications and the extraction procedure was quick,” he said.
According to Aubrun, the procedure sometimes involves the removal of the gallbladder to reduce the risk of recurrence, but this was not mentioned in Mandela’s case.
The presidency appealed for privacy for Mandela and his family. Media have been camped outside his home and the hospital.
Mandela’s hospitalizations cause panic among South Africans, as the elderly statesman is hardly seen in public.
Television images earlier this year showed the tall, grey-haired icon seated on a couch at his rural home, surrounded by grandchildren.
Mandela stepped down from office in 1999 after serving one term. In 2004 he announced his retirement from public life, but continued to make a few public appearances.
His last public appearance was in 2010, during the final match of the FIFA World Cup.
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting
CHANGING PERCEPTIONS: In its tender, the Hong Kong administration said that it had failed to ‘mobilise the community to support law enforcement actions’ The Hong Kong government has agreed to pay millions of pounds to a discreet London-based PR firm to counter coverage of the territory in the international media. Consulum, which has also represented Saudi Arabian Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, was on Monday awarded the ￡5 million (US$6.2 million) one-year contract to improve Hong Kong’s reputation — the same day that China passed national security legislation targeting the territory. The Mayfair-based PR business was founded by Tim Ryan and Matthew Gunther Bushell, two former employees of Bell Pottinger, an agency that has been criticized for representing some governments and leaders that other businesses