VIETNAM
Landslides, flooding kill 29
Officials say landslides and flooding caused by heavy rains have killed 29 people and left four missing. Disaster official Ngo Van Hung of northern Yen Bai Province said yesterday that 16 villagers from the mostly poor Hmong ethnic minority group died in a landslide. Authorities are searching for two others. The government disaster agency said flooding killed another 13 people and left two missing in the central region of the country over the past week. The agency said on its Web site that flooding caused by heavy rains has caused an estimated US$22 million in damage.
JAPAN
Fake doctor examines 2,300
A Tokyo hospital is checking the qualifications of all of its doctors after a man believed to have no medical license examined more than 2,300 of its patients. The man conducted medical interviews, examined electrocardiograms and explained check-up results to people from 2010 to last year at Takashimadaira Chuo General Hospital, weekend media reports said. The man was dispatched to the hospital through an employment agency and is suspected of being involved in the treatment of 2,363 people, the Yomiuri Shimbun and other media reported. Broadcaster TBS said allegations he was not qualified came to light after a medical exam study school where he taught contacted the hospital.
INDIA
Hospital hires bouncers
Pradeep Kumar works as a bouncer. Not at a nightclub, but at another workplace where violence is common in the country: a hospital. He and his burly colleagues keep the emergency and labor rooms from filling up with patients’ often agitated relatives and friends. They were hired at a New Delhi hospital in the spring, soon after friends of an emergency-room patient punched a doctor in the face and went on a rampage with hockey sticks. The staff at Deen Dayal Upadhyay Hospital said there had been no violence since the bouncers were hired.
CHINA
Labor groups evicted
Workers’ rights groups in Shenzhen are being forcibly evicted from their offices, academics have said in an open letter, urging an end to the crackdown. Ten groups that offer help to the millions of migrant workers have suffered random inspections and evictions, some of which turned violent, the letter seen by Agence France-Presse yesterday said. The Dagongzhe Migrant Worker Center was one of the first to be caught in the crackdown, with workers evicted from their offices in July after the water and electricity supply to their office was shut off by local authorities. The Hand in Hand Workers’ Home, was evicted from its offices on Sunday, while local government staff confiscated property belonging to a group called The Little Grass Workers’ Home last month, staff said.
INDONESIA
Alleged bombmaker arrested
Anti-terrorism forces have been busy over the past few months closing in on militants plotting against police and the government. Alleged bombmaker Mohammed Toriq made their job easy on Sunday, when the armed militant turned himself into authorities while wearing a suicide bomber belt that did not contain any explosives. He had been on the run since last week, when police flushed him out of his Jakarta house after neighbors reported seeing smoke billowing from it. He escaped again over the weekend, after a blast rocked a house in the capital’s outskirts. Police believe it was a bomb that accidentally went off.
IRAQ
Bombing death toll rises
A series of bombs ripped through mainly Shiite Baghdad districts on Sunday after fugitive Vice President Tareq al-Hashemi was sentenced to death, ending one of the bloodiest days of the year with more than 100 killed across the country. The violence and the sentence for Hashemi, a senior Sunni politician, threatened to stoke sectarian tensions in the country where a Shiite-led government is battling political instability and a Sunni Islamist insurgency nine months after US troops left. Hashemi, a fierce critic of Shiite Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki, fled Iraq after the authorities issued a warrant for his arrest in December, a move that risked collapsing a fragile power-sharing agreement among Shiite, Sunni and Kurdish blocs. After Sunday’s court ruling, car bombs tore through six districts around Baghdad, hitting a restaurant and a cafe. Another bomb went off in a busy commercial area, killing more than 50 people following bombs in other cities nationwide.
SERBIA
Probe told of organ theft
An official says a witness has come forward and testified about how ethnic Albanian rebels harvested organs from Serbs who were taken captive during a war in Kosovo. War Crimes Prosecutor Vladimir Vukcevic said on Sunday that “we have a witness who testified about a medical procedure, done in northern Albania, that consisted of harvesting organs from Serbs kidnapped during the 1998-1999 conflict in Kosovo.” Vukcevic said the witness, a former Kosovo Albanian rebel he did not identify by name, “described in detail” a surgery of harvesting a heart from a Serb captive and transporting it to the airport in Tirana, Albania’s capital.
MEXICO
Suspected radical arrested
An alleged member of the radical Islamic movement Hezbollah has been arrested in the country and handed over to US authorities, Mexican media reported on Sunday. Reforma newspaper identified the detained man as Rafic Mohammad Labboun Allaboun, a US national, who was wanted by the US government. Allaboun was arrested in the city of Merida late on Saturday as part of an operation conducted by Mexican immigration agents and local police, the report said. Two other suspected Hezbollah members were arrested along with Allaboun, according to the paper. Since US law enforcement authorities had put out an international alert on Allaboun, he was sent to Houston, Texas, on Sunday, the report said. The fate of the other two suspected Islamic radicals remains unclear. The US considers Iranian-backed Hezbollah a terrorist organization.
UNITED STATES
Obama motorcade cop dies
A Florida police officer escorting US President Barack Obama’s motorcade died on Sunday after he was struck by a vehicle, officials said. Obama has been notified of the officer’s death, White House spokesman Jay Carney told reporters. Jupiter Police Department spokesman Sergeant Scott Pascarella said Bruce St Laurent was working to shut down the Interstate 95 highway when a vehicle struck him. He was rushed to St Mary’s Medical Center in West Palm Beach, where he later died. “The accident happened ahead of the motorcade itself and no other vehicle in the motorcade was involved in the accident,” Carney said. As the presidential motorcade passed by the scene of the accident, St Laurent could be seen under the body of the vehicle, nearby his destroyed motorcycle.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told