More than 30 years after a collection of skeletal remains was found beneath John Wayne Gacy’s house, detectives have secretly exhumed the bones of eight young men who were never identified in hopes of answering a final question: Who were they?
The Cook County Sheriff’s Department says DNA testing could solve the last mystery associated with one of the nation’s worst serial killers, and authorities on Wednesday asked for the public’s help in determining the victims’ names.
Investigators are urging relatives of anyone who disappeared between 1970 and Gacy’s 1978 arrest — and who is still unaccounted for — to undergo saliva tests to compare their DNA with that of the skeletal remains.
Detectives believe the passage of time might actually work in their favor. Some families who never reported the victims missing and never searched for them could be willing to do so now, a generation after Gacy’s homosexuality and pattern of preying on vulnerable teens were splashed across newspapers all over the world.
“I’m hoping the stigma has lessened, that people can put family disagreements and biases against sexual orientation [and] drug use behind them to give these victims a name,” detective Jason Moran said.
“There are a million different reasons why someone hasn’t come forward. Maybe they thought their son ran off to work in an oil field in Canada, who knows?” Sheriff Tom Dart added.
Authorities also hope to hear from people who came forward back in the 1970s, convinced that their loved ones were buried under Gacy’s house, but without any dental records or other evidence to confirm it.
In other cases, some potential Gacy victims who had been reported missing were later mistakenly recorded as being found after police received tips that they supposedly were sighted.
The department is prepared to hear from thousands of people from across the country.
Gacy, who is remembered as one of history’s most bizarre killers largely because of his work as an amateur clown, was convicted of murdering 33 young men, sometimes luring them to his Chicago-area home for sex by impersonating a police officer or promising them construction work. He stabbed one and strangled the others between 1972 and 1978. Most were buried in a crawl space under his home. Four others were dumped in a river.
He was executed in 1994, but the anguish caused by his crimes still resounds today.
Just days ago, a judge granted a request to exhume one victim whose mother doubted the medical examiner’s conclusion that her son was found under Gacy’s house. Dart said other families have the same need for certainty.
Asked about the price of the effort, Dart said the lab is doing the analysis for free, and the costs will not be exorbitant.
To not take advantage of the DNA technology would be “somewhat immoral,” he said.
“Here are eight people who had futures, who could have done so much for society [and] instead this evil monster destroyed them. And we’re really going to just sit here and say: ‘You know, they’re forgotten, let’s keep them forgotten?’” he said at a news conference. “Talk about the final insult.”
The plan began unfolding earlier in the year, when detectives were trying to identify some human bones found scattered at a forest preserve. They started reviewing other cases of unidentified remains, which led them back to Gacy.
“I completely forgot or didn’t know there were all these unidentifieds,” Dart said.
It was not a cold case in the traditional sense. Gacy admitted to the slayings and was convicted by a jury. However, Moran and others knew if they had the victims’ bones, they could conduct genetic tests that would have seemed like science fiction in the 1970s, when forensic identification depended almost entirely on fingerprints and dental records.
After autopsies on the unidentified victims, pathologists in the 1970s removed their upper and lower jaws and their teeth to preserve as evidence in case science progressed to the point they could be useful or if dental records surfaced.
Back in June, Moran flew with them to a lab in Texas.
“They were my carry-on,” he said.
At a meeting last week, the men who investigated and prosecuted Gacy reminded the sheriff that many victims were already lost when Gacy found them.
“I can almost guarantee you that one or two of these kids were wards of the state,” retired detective Phil Bettiker said. “I don’t think anybody cared about them.”
Most were 17 or 18 years old and had been “through God knows how many foster homes and were basically on their own.”
Dart doubts that all eight victims will be identified, but he is confident the office will be able to give some back their names.
“I’d be shocked if we don’t get a handful,” he said. “The technology is so precise.”
FRENCH AID: Paris has sent a navy ship and aircraft from Reunion Island with some pollution control equipment, but rough seas are spreading the oil spill The operator of a Japanese bulk carrier which ran aground off Mauritius in the Indian Ocean yesterday apologized for a major oil spill, which officials and environmentalists say is creating an ecological disaster, as police prepared to board the ship. The MV Wakashio, operated by Mitsui OSK Lines, struck the reef on Mauritius’ southeast coast on July 25. “We apologize profusely and deeply for the great trouble we have caused,” Mitsui OSK Lines executive vice president Akihiko Ono said at a news conference in Tokyo. The company would “do everything in their power to resolve the issue,” he said. At least 1,000 tonnes of
They stand as eyesores to most passers-by and potential public health risks to authorities, decaying buildings wrapped in tangles of exposed wire, studded with protruding leaky plastic pipes, vegetation billowing from cracks and terraces where particulates from polluted air have accumulated over time. With skyscrapers and ultramodern developments on every side, some of these “nail houses” are also sitting on land worth millions of dollars in Shenzhen’s inferno of a property market, where new-unit and second-hand home prices rival London. In battles over land and development, the nail house phenomenon has become widespread throughout China over the past two decades, with owners
BEYOND CULTURE: The US State Department was expected to announce that the Chinese government-funded institutes would have to register as foreign missions US President Donald Trump’s administration is increasing scrutiny of a long-established Chinese-government funded program that is dedicated to teaching Chinese language and culture in the US and other nations, the latest escalation of tensions with Beijing. The US Department of State was expected to announce as soon as yesterday that Confucius Institutes in the US — many of which are based on college campuses — would have to register as “foreign missions,” according to people familiar with the matter who asked not to be identified. The designation would amount to a conclusion that the institutes are “substantially owned or effectively controlled” by
SHOW OF SOLIDARITY: The publisher’s ‘Apple Daily’ newspaper has had to raise the number of copies printed from 70,000 to 550,000 to meet a huge surge in demand They have occupied Hong Kong’s central business district, marched by the hundreds of thousands through the territory’s streets and endured tear gas and pepper spray in pitched battles with riot police. Hong Kong’s pro-democracy supporters are now wielding a new protest weapon: their stock-market trading accounts. To show support for Jimmy Lai (黎智英), the publisher and outspoken government critic who was on Monday arrested under the territory’s new national security legislation, Hong Kongers have been piling into shares of his media company Next Digital. The result: a more than 1,100 percent surge in two days that propelled the stock to a seven-year