Lawyers for Michael Jackson’s personal doctor will argue that Jackson killed himself with a drug overdose, prosecutors claimed ahead of a pre-trial hearing yesterday into the pop icon’s death.
The case centers on the role of Dr Conrad Murray, a cardiologist who faces charges of involuntary manslaughter over the June 25, 2009 death of the “King of Pop.” Jackson died at age 50 from drug-induced respiratory arrest.
At the preliminary hearing, Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Michael Pastor will decide whether there is enough evidence to try Murray, 57, on charges of involuntary manslaughter — essentially, a killing done without malice.
Murray is accused of administering a powerful cocktail of sedatives and painkillers to help Jackson sleep, and has pleaded not guilty to the charges.
The demise of Jackson, the biggest pop star of his generation, shocked the entertainment world and triggered intense debate over the performer’s health in the run up to a series of comeback concerts in London.
A prosecutor claimed defense lawyers will say Jackson woke up that fateful night at his Beverly Hills mansion and injected himself with an overdose while Murray was out of the room.
“I do think it’s clear the defense is operating under the theory that the victim, Michael Jackson, killed himself,” Deputy District Attorney David Walgren said at a preliminary hearing last week.
“They don’t want to say it but that’s the direction in which they are going,” he added.
A defense lawyer declined to comment on any theories outside the court.
There is likely to be a strong emphasis in the hearing on Murray’s use of propofol, an anesthetic used in surgery, to treat Jackson’s insomnia. The powerful drug is not approved for home use or to treat sleep disorders.
A preliminary hearing is usually a routine procedure in which only one or two witnesses are called, but prosecutors are set to call as many as 35 witnesses, according to the Los Angeles Times.
Those summoned are expected to include medical experts and investigators as well as security guards and staff present in the days and hours leading up to Jackson’s death, it said.
A lawyer for Murray said he expects the judge to order a full trial.
“I don’t anticipate this is the type of case that the [district attorney] won’t have facts to support the couple of elements necessary for this charge,” Joseph Low said.
The pre-trial hearing, which could last up to two weeks, comes after Jackson’s father re-filed a wrongful death lawsuit in November against the late singer’s doctor.
The 24-page lawsuit claimed that Murray spent 47 minutes on the phone while Jackson was dying.
Joe Jackson is seeking unspecified damages from Murray and others, including a Las Vegas pharmacy said to have supplied the powerful sedative drug propofol administered to the singer before he died.
The legal papers also recount Jackson’s poor health in the run-up to his death, noting that, at the time the singer was suffering from “co-morbidities including anemia, chronic pneumonia, chronic bronchitis and brain swelling.”
Jackson’s father filed a suit with a federal US court on June 25, the anniversary of his son’s death, but it was dismissed because the court said the case was not within its jurisdiction.
Joe, a steelworker in the industrial city of Gary, Indiana, reared his nine children into musical sensations starting from the Jackson 5 to the phenomenal careers of Michael and younger sister Janet Jackson.
Weeks after the death, Joe Jackson slammed the grueling 50-date schedule drawn up for Michael’s comeback and said he had been worried about his son’s health.
Others close to the pop star voiced sharply conflicting opinions about Jackson’s physical condition as he prepared for the shows.
Jackson holds the all-time record for album sales for Thriller in 1982 and sold more than 750 million albums over his nearly four-decade career.
Japan said it opposed changes to the G7 nations as it pushed back against a reform plan by US President Donald Trump that would have rival South Korea this year join in an expanded meeting. Tokyo has told the US it stands against South Korea’s participation on the grounds of differences in policy on China and North Korea, Kyodo News reported this weekend, citing more than one source related to Japanese and US diplomacy. Japan also wants to maintain its status as the only Asian country in the group, the news agency added. Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga yesterday told reporters that
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
PLAYING THE VICTIM? A Chinese spokesman sent a statement to Australian media saying that Beijing had ‘irrefutable’ evidence of Canberra’s widescale espionage Australia yesterday unveiled the “largest-ever” boost in cybersecurity spending, days after Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison spoke out about a wave of state-sponsored attacks suspected to have been carried out by China. Morrison and government officials said the country would spend an additional A$1.35 billion (US$928 million) on cybersecurity, about a 10 percent hike, taking the budget for the next decade to A$15 billion. The largest chunk of the new money would help create 500 jobs within the Australian Signals Directorate, the government’s communications intelligence agency. Morrison on June 19 said that a “state-based actor” was targeting a host of