Fri, Dec 03, 2010 - Page 6 News List

NZ holds remembrance service for coal miners


Pike River Coal CEO Peter Whittall, center, and his wife, Leanne, left, observe two minutes of silence during a memorial service at the Omoto Racecourse yesterday. New Zealand paused for two minutes’ silence as a somber remembrance service honoured the 29 miners killed in a tragedy that New Zealand Prime Minister John Key said had left the nation raw and grieving.

Photo: AFP

New Zealand held a national remembrance service yesterday for 29 coal miners killed in an explosion last month, with a line of 29 black-draped tables each bearing a fallen miner’s helmet, lamp and name serving as the centerpiece.

Pike River mine was rocked by an explosion Nov. 19, trapping the 29 miners. A second major blast five days later dashed hopes any of the workers had survived, and the men’s bodies have still not been recovered.

Two more explosions have occurred since, including one on Sunday that shot flames into the air, signaling a raging underground coal fire that continues to burn.

More than 10,000 mourners attended the somber open-air service for the dead miners under a sunny sky yesterday at Greymouth’s Omoto Racecourse on South Island. People paused for a two-minute silence before the service to remember the dead men. Flags flew at half-staff on government buildings nationwide.

Victims’ families placed photos, tributes and personal items — including clothing, a rugby ball, surfboards, a guitar and a cricket bat — alongside the miners’ helmets on the tables.

Men, women and children, many weeping, filed quietly past the tables to pay their respects.

“In a very real sense, those men are with us because of those tables,” Reverend Tim Mora, who led the service, told the silent crowd.

Grieving father Lawrie Drew said he would not feel a sense of closure until his son Zen’s body was recovered.

“It’s not closure for me. Not until I see the body,” he told the Stuff news Web site ahead of the service.

New Zealand Prime Minister John Key said the nation’s 4 million people were standing behind the region’s tight-knit community.

“We hoped ... they’d emerge from the depths of the Earth,” he told the mourners. “But they never came home.”

Recovery teams started a jet engine known as the “gag” machine overnight on Wednesday, blowing inert gases and water vapor into the burning mine to quench the fire raging since Sunday.

Police Superintendent Gary Knowles told reporters once the explosive gases are expelled, work will begin to cool soaring temperatures inside the mine to allow for the recovery of the 29 bodies. However, mine experts have warned it would be a slow process, he said.

Foreign diplomats, including high commissioners from Australia, Britain and South Africa — who lost nationals in the disaster — were also at the service.

This story has been viewed 3060 times.

Comments will be moderated. Remarks containing abusive and obscene language, personal attacks of any kind or promotion will be removed and the user banned.

TOP top