At least five people were killed and about 600 others were injured in traditional riotous New Year’s Eve revelry involving fireworks and guns across the Philippines, officials said yesterday.
A five-year-old boy and his mother were killed after being trapped inside their family-owned pyrotechnics store that went up in flames just hours before midnight on Thursday in Gingoog City on southern Mindanao island, police said.
The inferno started when the boy’s father and uncle tested a firecracker inside the store, setting off a chain reaction, police said.
The boy was sleeping inside the store and his mother rushed into the flames in a failed bid to save him, while a store helper also perished, police said.
In Zamboanga City also on Mindanao, another two revelers were killed and five others injured when a footbridge collapsed as they converged to watch a fireworks show minutes before midnight, police said.
Elsewhere in the Philippines, another 571 people were injured by firecrackers and 26 by stray bullets, Philippine Health Secretary Francisco Duque said.
“Thirty-six cases, or 6 percent, had blast burn injuries [that needed] amputation” of mangled fingers or limbs, Duque told a press conference.
Duque said this year’s New Year’s Eve injuries were less than last year, when 683 people were wounded by firecrackers and 17 by stray bullets. He said the lower firecracker-related injuries may be attributed to the government’s “scare tactics.”
These included television ads that showed gruesome images of severely mangled limbs and a tray of surgical instruments used in the amputation of a limb.
Making noise by exploding firecrackers and firing guns into the air are common ways of greeting the New Year in the Philippines.
CLOSELY TRACKED: A US officer said that the warplanes were watched as they flew from Russia by way of Iran and Syria to Libya and were photographed multiple times The US Africa Command flatly rejected Russian claims that Moscow did not deploy fighter jets to Libya, saying on Friday that the 14 aircraft flown in reflect Russia’s long-term goal to establish a foothold in the region that could threaten NATO allies. US Brigadier General Gregory Hadfield, deputy director of intelligence, said that the US tracked the MiG-29s and Su-24 fighter bombers flown in by Russian military, passing through Iran and Syria before landing at Libya’s al-Jufra air base. The base is the main forward airfield for Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar and his self-styled Libyan National Army, which has been waging an
‘SACRIFICED’: Hu Weifeng became the sixth doctor to die from COVID-19 at Wuhan Central Hospital, where calls to raise the alarm over the virus were suppressed The death of a Chinese doctor at Wuhan’s “whistle-blower hospital” has prompted a wave of anger at hospital authorities for not protecting front-line health workers in the face of the COVID-19 outbreak. Hu Weifeng (胡衛鋒), 42, a urologist at Wuhan Central Hospital where the whistle-blower ophthalmologist Li Wenliang (李文亮) worked, died of the virus on Tuesday after a four-month battle. Hu is the sixth doctor from his hospital killed by the virus. Another doctor who spoke out, Ai Fen (艾芬), said that authorities told hospital staff not to wear protective gear so as not to cause panic and reprimanded her for “harming
Singapore’s otters, long adored by the city-state’s nature lovers, are popping up in unexpected places during the COVID-19 lockdown, but their antics have angered some and even sparked calls for a cull. With the streets empty, the creatures have been spotted hanging out by a shopping center, scampering through the lobby of a hospital and even feasting on pricey fish stolen from a pond. While many think of tiny Singapore as a densely populated concrete jungle, it is also relatively green for a busy Asian city, and has patches of rainforest, fairly clean waterways and abundant wildlife. There are estimated to be about
Indonesian officials are forcing people who break social distancing rules to recite Koran verses, stay in “haunted” houses and submit to public shaming on social media as the country battles to contain surging novel coronavirus infections. The Southeast Asian archipelago began deploying about 340,000 troops across two dozen cities to oversee enforcement of measures aimed at halting transmission of the disease, such as wearing masks in public. However, provincial leaders are buttressing these efforts with their own zealous campaigns to fight the coronavirus. Police in western Bengkulu Province have assembled a 40-person squad to find lockdown scofflaws and force them to wear