Five Blackwater security guards were charged on Monday with killing 14 unarmed civilians and wounding 20 others last year in a shooting in Baghdad that outraged Iraqis and strained US-Iraqi relations.
US Attorney Jeffrey Taylor said one of the victims was shot in the chest while standing in the street with his hands up in the air while another victim was injured from a grenade fired into a nearby girls’ school.
In a 35-count indictment, the US Justice Department charged the men with 14 counts of manslaughter, 20 counts of attempt to commit manslaughter and one weapons violation count. If convicted, the men face 10 years in prison for each manslaughter charge, plus additional time for other charges.
PHOTO: AFP
“The government alleges in the documents unsealed today that at least 34 unarmed Iraqi civilians, including women and children, were killed or injured without justification or provocation by these Blackwater security guards in the shooting at Nisoor Square,” said Patrick Rowan, assistant attorney general for national security.
A sixth Blackwater guard pleaded guilty on Friday to charges of voluntary manslaughter and attempt to commit manslaughter, the Justice Department said.
An attorney on the team representing the five men, who surrendered to authorities in Salt Lake City, Utah, said they were innocent of all charges.
“They were hired as State Department contractors to protect State government officials,” Brent Hatch told reporters. “They did their job as they were contracted to do, as they were required to do, and as the State Department asked them to do it.”
The five — all decorated military veterans — declined comment as they surrendered. The five will get their day in a Washington court after unsuccessfully trying to move the trial to Utah, where one of the five guards lives, in hopes of appealing to conservative jurors who may be more sympathetic to the war in Iraq than those in Washington.
But the Justice Department argued that the case should remain in Washington. A federal magistrate in Salt Lake City agreed and on Monday ordered the guards to report to a District of Columbia courthouse on Jan. 6, where they are expected to plead not guilty.
The shooting occurred as the guards escorted a heavily armed four-truck convoy of US diplomats through Baghdad on Sept. 16 last year. The guards were responding to a car bombing when shooting erupted in a crowded intersection.
Security firms working for the US after the 2003 US-led invasion enjoyed immunity from prosecution in Iraq, but that ends on Dec. 31 under a security pact between Baghdad and Washington signed last month.
Although 17 Iraqis were killed in the shooting, US Justice Department officials said the evidence supported charges in 14 deaths. They said the investigation continues, and they planned to brief the families of the Iraqi victims.
Meanwhile, the Justice Department now faces stiff challenges to the evidence and legal grounds at the heart of its case. Most importantly, prosecutors must prove they did not rely on protected statements the guards gave to State Department investigators within hours of the shootings.
It gave limited immunity to all the guards in the four-car convoy, promising not to prosecute them based on the initial statements recounting how the violence began.
Defense attorneys also will argue that the guards cannot be charged under a law intended to cover soldiers and military contractors since the men worked as civilian contractors for the State Department.
It is the first time prosecutors have used that argument to prosecute contractors. The Justice Department recently lost a somewhat similar case against former Marine Jose Luis Nazario Jr, who was charged in Riverside, California, with killing four unarmed Iraqi detainees.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told
Nauru said it would hold a referendum to change its official name, described as a colonial relic from a time when “foreign tongues” mangled the native language. Nauru would change its name to Naoero to “more faithfully honor our nation’s heritage, our language and our identity,” Nauruan President David Adeang said in a statement on Tuesday. The Pacific island nation’s native language is Dorerin Naoero, which is spoken by the vast majority of its approximately 10,000 inhabitants. “Nauru emerged because Naoero could not be properly pronounced by foreign tongues, and was changed not by our choice, but for convenience,” the government said in