The chief UN nuclear inspector said his agency’s Syria probe has been hampered because key satellite images of an alleged nuclear reactor bombed by Israel are inexplicably unavailable on the market.
International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) chief Mohamed ElBaradei did not point any fingers on Thursday in the “baffling” failure of his agency’s efforts to obtain the images of the Syrian site immediately after it was bombed by Israel last year.
But diplomats familiar with the IAEA’s Syria investigation said agency officials were considering several scenarios, including the possibility that Syria or other nations with an interest in a cover-up had bought the photos and all rights to them from commercial satellite companies.
ElBaradei’s comments at the start of a two-day full meeting of the IAEA’s 35-nation board partially reflected the focus of the gathering — suspicions about Syria and Iran’s nuclear activities.
On Iran, ElBaradei told the meeting that he “cannot exclude the existence of possible military dimensions to Iran’s nuclear program.”
The US and the EU both expressed alarm at Tehran’s defiance of UN Security Council resolutions meant to curb its suspected nuclear activities. Ali Ashgar Soltanieh, Iran’s IAEA representative, accused Washington and its allies of dragging it before the Security Council as part of a “hidden agenda.”
In the case of Syria, ElBaradei said his “agency was unable to obtain commercial satellite imagery” of the site immediately after the bombing, adding: “It is regrettable, and indeed baffling, that imagery for this critical period ... was not available.”
Syrian nuclear chief Ibrahim Othman was dismissive, telling The Associated Press: “The theory that we bought all the photos is nonsense.”
The IAEA often turns to commercial images beyond any spy satellite photos shared by governments.
But the two nations most likely to have satellite intelligence were unlikely to have provided it with immediate information. Israel still has not confirmed it was behind the strike, while the US waited for more than six months before sharing knowledge with the IAEA.
The possibility that commercial companies simply did not know where to look immediately after the bombing was raised by David Albright, whose Washington-based Institute for Science and International Security closely tracks suspected secret proliferators.
“The United States and Israel went to great lengths to prevent others from finding out where the site was,” said Albright, whose institute was the first to publish commercial satellite images of the site more than a year ago and identify it as a likely North Korean-model nuclear reactor.
“No one knew where the site was immediately after the bombing,” said Albright, whose institute published photos taken nearly a month before the Israeli strike on Sept. 6 last year.
Albright also said that ElBaradei was initially skeptical of the US assertions, which could have led Washington and Israel to withhold satellite photos.
“Why would US intelligence give photos to ElBaradei if he was predisposed not to believe” that they showed a secret nuclear reactor, Albright said in an interview.
Meanwhile, a senior diplomat familiar with the Syria probe suggested that the comments by ElBaradei were at least partially out of date. He said the agency had “very recently” been able to locate commercial images showing the site after the Israeli strike.
IAEA spokeswoman Melissa Fleming said the agency would not comment on the issue.
All of the diplomats asked for anonymity in exchange for speaking to The Associated Press because their information was privileged.
TARNISHED LEGACY: Woodrow Wilson served as the university’s president before becoming the US’ 28th leader, but his racism was ‘significant and consequential’ Princeton University is removing former US president Woodrow Wilson’s name from its public policy school and one of its residential colleges after trustees concluded that the 28th president’s “racist thinking and policies” made him “an inappropriate namesake.” The Ivy League school’s trustees made the decision on Friday, according to a statement on Saturday. It comes at a time of widespread rethinking of the US’ racial legacy. The Black Lives Matter (BLM) movement, energized by a series of high-profile deaths of black Americans, has resulted in the removal of Confederate monuments, flags and symbols of racism across the US. Deleting Wilson’s name at Princeton
‘FULLY ENCLOSED’: Residents of Anxin County would be confined to their homes and would only be allowed out once a day to buy necessities such as food and medicine China yesterday imposed a strict lockdown on nearly half a million people near the capital to contain a fresh COVID-19 cluster as authorities warned the outbreak was still “severe and complicated.” After China largely brought the virus under control, hundreds have been infected in Beijing and cases have emerged in Hebei Province. Health officials said that Anxin County — about 150km from Beijing — would be “fully enclosed and controlled,” the same strict measures imposed at the height of the pandemic in the city of Wuhan earlier this year. Only one person from each family would be allowed to go out once a
Japan said it opposed changes to the G7 nations as it pushed back against a reform plan by US President Donald Trump that would have rival South Korea this year join in an expanded meeting. Tokyo has told the US it stands against South Korea’s participation on the grounds of differences in policy on China and North Korea, Kyodo News reported this weekend, citing more than one source related to Japanese and US diplomacy. Japan also wants to maintain its status as the only Asian country in the group, the news agency added. Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga yesterday told reporters that
‘CHAPITOS’: An ex-DEA agent said the sons of the former cartel head are engaged in a battle for control, with the health of the man temporarily in charge a factor The fight for control of drug kingpin Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman’s legacy spilled into the open on Thursday after a gun battle between rival Mexican gangs left 16 dead, authorities said. The 16 men, heavily armed and wearing bulletproof vests, died in a six-hour running shootout near the rural town of Tepuche in northwestern Sinaloa province. “A van with seven bodies was located” after an initial clash, while nine bodies were discovered following a second exchange, Sinaloa Minister of Security Cristobal Castaneda told reporters. Castaneda said that Wednesday’s clash near Tepuche, 25km from the capital of Sinaloa, Culiacan, was “part of a struggle