The woman accused of running an upscale prostitution agency for officials, military brass and executives in the US capital, appeared on television late on Friday, vowing to defend herself against all charges but not revealing any new big names among her clients.
"I think I ran a very nice operation," Deborah Jeane Palfrey, also know as the "DC Madam," said of her escort service -- Pamela Martin & Associates.
"I think I empowered a lot of women. I got a lot of women through graduate school," she told ABC News, which called her revelations "dull."
She said the women she employed included a college professor, a medical researcher, a Navy officer, a legal secretary and a suburban realtor, who just wanted to make extra money.
Dubbed the "DC Madam" by news reports, Palfrey denies doing anything illegal through her business which she ran for 13 years, but has said she has a record of the phone numbers of more than 10,000 customers that could embarrass some of the US capital's high-fliers.
Last week, the head of the US Agency for International Development, Randall Tobias, resigned for personal reasons, but ABC news said he stepped down after the network contacted him about using the service.
"Tobias was a customer of my previous business, Pamela Martin & Associates," Palfrey confirmed on Monday.
"Allow me to say how genuinely sorry I am for Mr. Tobias, his family and his friends," Palfrey told reporters outside court.
Palfrey has promised that her phone records -- all 21kg of them -- would be revealed unless the charges against her were dropped.
She has pleaded with journalists to seek details of her clients, so she can call them as witnesses in her attempt to prove she was not running a prostitution ring.
But the only other client to be revealed thus far has been Harlan Ullman, a renowned military analyst and columnist for the Washington Times newspaper.
Ullman was quoted as telling reporters that the allegation he used Palfrey's service was "beneath the dignity of comment."
ABC News said the client list also includes a career justice department prosecutor, NASA officials and five military officials, including a commander of an Air Force intelligence squadron.
Officials from the World Bank, the IMF and both Republican and Democratic lobbyists also figured on the phone records.
None of these names were disclosed, however. But, overall, the network called the list "dull."
"There were no members of Congress that we could find in these phone records, no White House officials," it said. "Quite frankly, but for the few exceptions, most of the men of this list just are not newsworthy."
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
PLAYING THE VICTIM? A Chinese spokesman sent a statement to Australian media saying that Beijing had ‘irrefutable’ evidence of Canberra’s widescale espionage Australia yesterday unveiled the “largest-ever” boost in cybersecurity spending, days after Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison spoke out about a wave of state-sponsored attacks suspected to have been carried out by China. Morrison and government officials said the country would spend an additional A$1.35 billion (US$928 million) on cybersecurity, about a 10 percent hike, taking the budget for the next decade to A$15 billion. The largest chunk of the new money would help create 500 jobs within the Australian Signals Directorate, the government’s communications intelligence agency. Morrison on June 19 said that a “state-based actor” was targeting a host of
The Philippine army chief yesterday expressed outrage over the fatal police shooting of four soldiers, including two officers, and demanded justice, as both sides provided contrasting accounts of the killings. Philippine Secretary of the Interior and Local Government Eduardo Ano, a retired military chief of staff who now oversees the national police, ordered that the police involved in Monday’s violence in Jolo in Sulu Province be disarmed and restricted for investigation. Police said the soldiers were killed in a “misencounter” with a group of police officers. The army said that the two officers and two enlisted men were on a mission against