Police found two explosive devices, explosive powder, cables and shrapnel in the house of a man suspected in a blast at a US fast food restaurant in the Indonesian capital, investigators said yesterday, suggesting more attacks were planned.
Officers declined to speculate on a motive for the attack on Saturday, but said the bomber was "unprofessional," indicating he was not linked to the al-Qaeda-linked group Jemaah Islamiyah, blamed for a string of well-organized and deadly strikes on Western targets in Indonesia since 2002.
Only the 36-year-old bomber was injured in the lunchtime blast at the A&W restaurant, which caused little damage but added to jitters over security days ahead of US President George W. Bush's visit to the world's most populous Muslim nation, said Jakarta's police spokesman Ketut Untung Yoga.
Witnesses said the suspect was visibly shaking when he triggered the rudimentary device while seated at a table.
"He's in critical condition," anti-terror official Budi Cahyono said, adding that he suffered injuries to his head, heart, leg and hand, losing one finger.
"He is unconscious and attached to a respirator," Cahyono said.
Soon after the blast in east Jakarta, police raided a nearby house where they suspected the bomber lived after tracing the address through an identity card found in his pocket.
The suspect was apparently acting alone, Cahyono said, adding that police were waiting for him to regain consciousness so they could interrogate him.
A 15-year-old boy, Syarif Abdurrahman, told el-Shinta radio that he was the bomber's nephew.
"A day before the incident, my uncle asked me whether I wanted to be a follower of Dr. Azahari," he told the radio station in reference to Jemaah Islamiyah's top bombmaker, who was killed last year in a police raid.
"I told him, `No, I don't. Only crazy people want to join them and I'm not crazy,'" Syarif said.