Mexico's outgoing president, Vicente Fox, woke on Monday morning to the news of bombs going off in the capital. The next day the country's senate refused him permission to leave the country and his enraged response was ridiculed in the media. The release of off-camera comments, in which he said he could utter whatever stupidity he wanted because he was leaving his post, followed. After that Fox was told that he was being sued by his own lawyers.
Fox, 64, was hailed as a hero six years ago when he took office having ended almost 70 years of one-party rule in elections. He will leave office at the end of this month lambasted by many analysts as ineffectual and by others as a brake on the advance of democracy.
This week's explosions -- claimed by small leftist guerrilla groups -- only damaged property. But they were the biggest such blasts for years and added to the feeling that Mexico is teetering on the edge of a political crisis.
The gathering crises include the simmering dispute over accusations of fraud in July's presidential election won by the president's protege, as well as a gruesome turf war between the country's drug cartels.
But the main reason cited by senators for denying Fox permission to visit to Vietnam and Australia was that he should pay more attention to the conflict between a radical leftwing movement and the authoritarian governor of the southern state of Oaxaca.
After months of inaction Fox ordered a military-style occupation of Oaxaca city, the state capital, last month which has done little to calm the situation. The senators also questioned Fox's desire to visit Australia, Mexico's 32nd biggest trading partner and home to his daughter.
In the last few weeks he has toured the country delivering tributes to his wife, who is accused by some of corruption. And then came the release of off-the-record comments before an interview which were shown on You Tube.
"I can say whatever stupid thing I want. It isn't important," Fox was heard as saying. "I'm leaving anyway."
The news that he faces a suit filed by his lawyers alleging that he owes them US$3 million for defending him against charges of illegal campaign financing, must have seemed the final straw.
FOX HUNT: To suppress dissent, Chinese living abroad that Xi Jinping sees as threats are told to either return to China or commit suicide, Christopher Wray said Chinese agents have been pursuing hundreds of Chinese nationals living in the US in an effort to force their return, as part of a global campaign against the country’s diaspora, known as Operation Fox Hunt, FBI Director Christopher Wray said on Tuesday. In a speech about the security threat posed by China, during which he said Beijing’s counterintelligence work was the “greatest long-term threat to our nation’s information and intellectual property, and to our economic vitality,” Wray gave the example of one Fox Hunt target who was given a choice of going back to China or killing themselves. Fox Hunt was launched
INTERNET CURBS: People are rushing to erase their digital footprints after police given powers over online activity, although it might take years for the full effect to be felt At midnight on Tuesday, the Great Firewall of China, the vast apparatus that limits the country’s Internet, appeared to descend on Hong Kong. Unveiling expanded police powers as part of contentious new national security legislation, the Hong Kong government enabled police to censor online speech, and force Internet service providers to hand over user information and shut down platforms. Many residents, already anxious since the legislation took effect last week, rushed to erase their digital footprint of any signs of dissent or support for the past year of protests. Hong Kong Legislator Charles Mok (莫乃光), a pro-democracy member of the Legislative
‘SUICIDE’: Media reports said Park Won-soon went missing on Thursday after a staff member filed a sexual harassment claim against him this week Seoul mayor Park Won-soon, viewed as a potential candidate for the 2022 presidential election, was found dead of an apparent suicide hours after he was reported missing, police said, adding that he was the subject of an undisclosed investigation. In a note he is thought to have left behind on his desk, Park offered his apologies. “I thank everyone who was with me in my life. I apologize to my family for only making them suffer from pain,” according to the note that was released by his office yesterday. Park, in his letter, asked to be cremated and have his remains spread
RISKY BUSINESS: The Chinese firm has stockpiled 500,000 pieces of 5G equipment not covered by US sanctions, but fears a wider ban could be announced in the UK Huawei Technologies Co believes it can supply 5G hardware unaffected by US sanctions to the UK for the next five years, sidestepping the expected conclusion of British emergency review on Tuesday. The company has stockpiled 500,000 pieces of kit, but fears a wider ban on its equipment is to be unveiled to placate rebel British Conservative Party lawmakers, who say that the Chinese supplier represents a national security risk. The British government on Friday said that it was “very likely” that British Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Oliver Dowden would make a statement to parliament on Tuesday